New User - Install Problem

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
nateq
New User - Install Problem

Post by nateq » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:06 am

Hello - new OOMA user here. Having the following setup issue:

When I use the standard wiring setup for DSL per the manual -
MODEM directly connected>>>> to OOMA
= I get Blinking Red Ooma tab (no connection)

But when I use the non recommended wiring setup -
MODEM>>>> connected to WIRELESS ROUTER>>>>OOMA plugged into an ethernet port on router
= I get Blue Tab (connected)

is this odd? Does anyone know how to get the Ooma to work using the standard wiring setup. It's just kind of annoying to not get the QOS jogging features of the normal setup where the OOma is directly connected to a modem.

Soundjudgment

Re: New User - Install Problem

Post by Soundjudgment » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:48 am

Nope, not annoying at all.

I see no reason why you cannot have your Ooma functioning in that hookup which works for you. I have virtually the same hookup here:

Cable Modem ---> Linksys Router ---> Ooma Hub ---> Telephone.

It works right away, lights up solid Blue and have absolutely no need to worry about an QoS settings or how the Ooma performs under this arrangment. It simply works well, even with heavy Internet use on two PC computers running alongside the Ooma on the same Router!

By the way, that same Router also features an ATT Call-Vantage VoIP service terminal-unit built-in. Guess which Phone Account will be 'terminated' this week? :)
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

mnarcticcat

Post by mnarcticcat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:21 am

I have virtually the same set-up as you. Linksys Modem -to- Linksys Wireless Router

I've tried everything, and I can't get it to work. The wireless router that I have does not have the "Vonage" capabilities....do you think this might be my problem?

I'm not trying to hy-jack this post with my issues, but "NATEQ" appears to have gotten his to work, he was just wondering if it was ok the way he had it....right?

I live in a very old house....I basically chopped off the original landline and reconnected it. Currently I'm using my Cable Company (Charter) VOIP service that all it is, is the coaxial cable going into the box and a telephone wire.

The Charter VOIP that I use only uses 2 wires of the stand 4-wire telephone wire throughout my house. Do I need to utilize all 4-wires to get my service to work? It looks like the provided telephone wire from Ooma is a 2-wire only.....

One last question: Why does Ooma's customer support suck? I've spent hours on hold, sent emails, added my own forum topic etc. I've got nothing back.

Thanks to all in advance.

Regards,

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:43 am

mnarcticcat wrote: The wireless router that I have does not have the "Vonage" capabilities....do you think this might be my problem?
Nope. There should be no reason why the Router you have couldn't handle the job. Having it be a 'Vontage' Router makes no difference in your ability to use the Internet for Ooma Phone service. In fact, the moment you do have your issue(s) resolved, you might do the same thing I am doing: Old VoIP for $30+/mo? Seeee ya! :)
I'm not trying to hy-jack this post with my issues, but "NATEQ" appears to have gotten his to work, he was just wondering if it was ok the way he had it....right?
Right, and I definitely agree there is no reason why it cannot be left to work the way it is currently set up. He might also be trying to get things wired-in more efficiently, or have more control over the QoS, but that isn't even an issue again with the setup I have now.
The Charter VOIP that I use only uses 2 wires of the stand 4-wire telephone wire throughout my house. Do I need to utilize all 4-wires to get my service to work?
Absolutely not. As you can see with the included RJ11 phone-wire given with the Ooma package, there are only two (2) wired prongs on the phone jack itself. You don't need any 3rd or 4th wire for phone service, but the one advantage is that if you wanted to, you could employ the 3rd and 4th wire as a sort of SECOND phone line if you needed additional hardwire connectivity. But again, having 4-wires will not grant you anymore capability that a standard 2-conductor wired phone operation.
Why does Ooma's customer support suck? I've spent hours on hold, sent emails, added my own forum topic etc. I've got nothing back.
Think of it this way: You are not calling 'Ma-Bell' or even Verizon. So you won't see those 50,000 telephone employees walking around with you as you move about the City, as you see happen in those Verizon TV commercials. But even though you do get varying personalized customer service with Ooma, you know that you are getting something just as precious: Free phone service! ;)
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>