Cannot access Ooma Hub device settings (QoS, et al)

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
wecheeks
Cannot access Ooma Hub device settings (QoS, et al)

Post by wecheeks » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:29 pm

I cannot access the Ooma Hub on my network to configure QoS using the address specified in the FAQ. I am using an integrated modem/router and suspect that this is the problem (i.e., there is no cable attached to the Home port on the Ooma Hub).

Is it possible to access the Ooma Hub without connecting directly to the Home port? Will it work to connect directly to the Home port?

Soundjudgment

Re: Cannot access Ooma Hub device settings (QoS, et al)

Post by Soundjudgment » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:42 am

I believe because of 'security considerations' there is no way to talk to the Ooma Box without a PC hooked up to the HOME port. Consider this though:

You might never NEED to communicate or make any settings to the Ooma Hub at all. I certainly didn't need to do so. I simply plugged the Ooma Hub to the Router and vola! Within seconds I had a solid-blue light on the Box. There was no need to 'tweak' the settings any further to get good, clean stable operation.

Also, even if you feel you must do so settings, you only need to have the PC hooked up to the HOME Port for that operation alone. Then when all is done, set the PC back up on the Router as normal. That's it. The Ooma Box should continue running fine with no further direct communications to it from your PC connection. So have at it and have some OoooOooOoma fun! :)
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

wecheeks

Re: Cannot access Ooma Hub device settings (QoS, et al)

Post by wecheeks » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Oh, everything is working very well right now. I just read that it helps the Ooma hub to know the speed of my 7MBps Verizon DSL connection for QOS purposes. I assumed that either my Ooma VOIP service or my data speed might suffer unnecessarily without updated settings...