Using a corded and cordless phones with the Telo

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
ToddInPG
Using a corded and cordless phones with the Telo

Post by ToddInPG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:48 am

I currently have the Ooma Core/Scout system and am considering upgrading to the Telo. Currently, I have a corded phone connected to the Hub for my home office (not running a business but a remote employee) and a cordless system for the rest of the house connected to the Scout. From the pictures I have seen of the back of the Telo, it appears to only have one phone jack. I know I could attach a splitter to back of the Telo to get service on both the corded and cordless phones, but would this function as my current setup? Would I still be able to get the instant second line (if the corded were in use, what would happen if the cordless line picked up?), transfer calls between the corded and cordless phones, and other functions that I currently enjoy with my Core/Scout setup?

Thanks for the help,
Todd

Groundhound

Re: Using a corded and cordless phones with the Telo

Post by Groundhound » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:03 am

Unfortunately, there is no wired access to the Instant Second Line feature for the Telo, it will require the Telo wireless handset that will work as the replacement for the Scout.

StevenJohn

Post by StevenJohn » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:43 am

Groundhound wrote:Unfortunately, there is no wired access to the Instant Second Line feature for the Telo, it will require the Telo wireless handset that will work as the replacement for the Scout.
This, in my opinion, is a big let down. However, I'm sure I will find a way to accept this flaw.

sj

ToddInPG

Post by ToddInPG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:46 am

That is a shame. I would really like to upgrade but I do not think the Telo handsets would suffice for my office line as I need a quality speakerphone that is not dependent upon batteries to work. Thanks for the information.

ToddInPG

Post by ToddInPG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am

I guess I should I ask this question without making the assumption: does anyone know if the Telo handset speakerphone can operate while in the charging cradle? My guess is probably not but I thought I would ask anyway.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:11 pm

ToddInPG wrote:That is a shame. I would really like to upgrade but I do not think the Telo handsets would suffice for my office line as I need a quality speakerphone that is not dependent upon batteries to work. Thanks for the information.
Just to clarify, your first line with the Telo is wired access, and you can use any phone you want on it. I have a speaker phone connected to my Telo sitting beside me as I type this. It's just the functions that were handled by the Scout for the Ooma Hub are now handled by the wireless Telo handset for the Telo. Telo's wired connection just handles line1 while the Telo handset handles both lines.

ToddInPG

Post by ToddInPG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Ah so I could simply replace our cordless phones with the Telo handsets correct? If so, that is not a bad option.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:53 pm

ToddInPG wrote:Ah so I could simply replace our cordless phones with the Telo handsets correct? If so, that is not a bad option.
That's the way it should work.

ToddInPG

Post by ToddInPG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Excellent! Thanks again for the help. Now just to get the family used to yet another cordless phone setup.

foxkid

Post by foxkid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:36 am

I may have bought into OOMA "just in time". The Hub/Scout does what I want, but it looks like the Telo doesn't. I hope the Hub/Scout will continue to be available.

-- Carl