Scout

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jogmd
Scout

Post by jogmd » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:28 pm

New user. I have easily set up the hub and have a beautiful signature dial tone! in the phone connected to the hub. I have cable internet. NO LAND LINE WHATSOEVER. I am having problems with the scout. The user guide says that to set up a scout to a cordless phone system I only need to connect the base of the phone system (not the charger) to the scout and plug the power of the scout, that is even shown in the diagrams!. It also states that there is no need of landlines for the scout to work. I assumed there was some sort of a "wireless" connection between the scout and the hub. I want the scout in the Master BR and the hub in the office, which is where it is at right now.
Just for curiosity I took the scout and plugged it to the wall jack in the hub and it immediately turned blue. Please tell me what I am doing wrong! I do not have landlines or available internal wiring, since I have been a vonage user for almost 4 years, and I really need the scout in the MBR!!

dlherrin

Re: Scout

Post by dlherrin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:34 am

Hi. I have also had setup issues with my scout, which is currently unused even though I have existing wiring in my house. I am running with ooma integrated with my landline. (Search for my other posts for more info on this.)
jogmd wrote:The user guide says that to set up a scout to a cordless phone system I only need to connect the base of the phone system (not the charger) to the scout and plug the power of the scout, that is even shown in the diagrams!.
Are you referring to the ooma quick start guide page 11? The way I read it is that you can plug your cordless base station into the ooma hub or scout, assuming of course the scout is talking to the base station already.
jogmd wrote:It also states that there is no need of landlines for the scout to work. I assumed there was some sort of a "wireless" connection between the scout and the hub.
You are confusing landline telephone service (not required) with wiring (required).
jogmd wrote:I want the scout in the Master BR and the hub in the office, which is where it is at right now.
Just for curiosity I took the scout and plugged it to the wall jack in the hub and it immediately turned blue. Please tell me what I am doing wrong! I do not have landlines or available internal wiring, since I have been a vonage user for almost 4 years, and I really need the scout in the MBR!!
I know the feeling. You have in your mind how you want things to be, but the reality of the situation is that to have the scout work in your master BR it will be necessary to create a wiring run from your base station to the BR. If the level of effort to achieve this exceeds what you consider to be reasonable, you need to get creative and consider other alternatives. How about connecting a multi-phone cordless base station to the ooma hub and distributing the handsets throughout the house (including the master BR). Choose a system with integrated answering machine and have it pick up before ooma.

Best,
Dave
Belle Mead, New Jersey

jogmd

Re: Scout

Post by jogmd » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:10 am

Thanks for all the answers that have clarified the main issue. Iguess I was confusing the landline service with the wiring service. I do need some wiring to comunicate the hub and the scout.
I do have the multiple phone system with the base station hooked to the hub and other phones around the house, one of them in the MBR like you guys suggested (working fine). However, I wanted to have the scout and all its benefits, as well as the second line and phone number offered with the premier package in the MBR, something like a "private" linem voicemail, etc....away form the kids. Oh well, I still think ooma is a great deal and is working really well for me so far.