Install 2nd phone

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
sligg
Install 2nd phone

Post by sligg » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I live on two floors of a three family house. Each apartment is wired independently with its own meter and circuit breaker box.

The 3rd floor has my computer, cable modem, and Ooma phone which is working (no router). The phone jacks on this floor are inactive.

The 2nd floor has active land line phone jacks using phone service supplied by the ISP. I want to get rid of this ISP phone which is part of my triple play cable service.

How can I connect an Ooma hub or Scout on the second floor to the Ooma hub setup on the 3rd floor? Is a cable modem capable of connecting two phones with different phone numbers?

I'm using cordless phones with cordless extensions on both floors.

Soundjudgment

Re: Install 2nd phone

Post by Soundjudgment » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:25 am

"" Is a cable modem capable of connecting two phones with different phone numbers? ""

Yes. If you decide you want TWO separate Ooma Boxs running: You will definitely need an Ethernet Router to go to the back of the Cable Modem. Then you plug the two Ooma Hubs (if this is what you are intending) into separate OUTPUTS of the Ethernet Router. Since you are registering each Ooma Hub box separately, they will have two distinctive MAC addresses that you register for service on both.

If you choose to only use ONE Ooma Hub, you will need to insure that the House wiring can BRIDGE the phone wiring from one floor to another. Then you can work with one Ooma Hub talking to one Scout unit on the other floor, both through their RJ11 "WALL" Connection ports. You will need to get Ooma Premiere Service to acquire the second phone number for the Scout unit, and set up the Sharing for them to be separate working telephone devices from one another.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

sligg

Post by sligg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Soundjudgment wrote:"" Is a cable modem capable of connecting two phones with different phone numbers? ""

Yes. If you decide you want TWO separate Ooma Boxs running: You will definitely need an Ethernet Router to go to the back of the Cable Modem. Then you plug the two Ooma Hubs (if this is what you are intending) into separate OUTPUTS of the Ethernet Router. Since you are registering each Ooma Hub box separately, they will have two distinctive MAC addresses that you register for service on both.

If you choose to only use ONE Ooma Hub, you will need to insure that the House wiring can BRIDGE the phone wiring from one floor to another. Then you can work with one Ooma Hub talking to one Scout unit on the other floor, both through their RJ11 "WALL" Connection ports. You will need to get Ooma Premiere Service to acquire the second phone number for the Scout unit, and set up the Sharing for them to be separate
working telephone devices from one another.
I would go with the two Ooma Hubs. How would I get from the Hub on the 2nd floor to the Ethernet Router which I assume would be placed next to the cable modem on the 3rd floor, a distance of more than 30 feet. I'm not familiar with routers, I don't know how they work? Would there be any hard wiring involved?

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Yes. For a Quality-grade connection at a distance of 30-50 feet, you would need to work on getting a CAT6 Ethernet cable strung from the output of the Internet Router over to the second Ooma Hub which needs access to that same Cable Modem. If there is a way to get the CAT6 wiring in-between floors that is fine. But this would be much more preferable than trying to do this with a Wireless Router (assuming you even have one) because of the possibility for signal drop outs and other RF interference. A wired Ethernet cord is the best way to go. I strongly recommend you work with that goal in mind.

Then you could decide to place BOTH Ooma Hubs on the Downstream from the Router. Or you might place ONE Ooma Hub Downstream, and the other Ooma Hub in-between the Cable Modem and the Router itself. This would all need to be tested out once you have the wiring in place.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

atici

Post by atici » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:22 pm

I don't understand. Why can't you use one cordless phone with multiple handsets connected to one hub? Do you need different numbers on these two floors?

sligg

Post by sligg » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:33 pm

[quote="atici"]I don't understand. Why can't you use one cordless phone with multiple handsets connected to one hub? Do you need different numbers on these two floors?[/quote

That is my current setup.

Yes, I need a second phone with a new number connected to its own hub so that the two phones are totally independent of each other. The only common connection would be the broadband on the 3rd floor.

That is the problem I'm trying to solve.

sligg

Post by sligg » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Soundjudgment wrote:Yes. For a Quality-grade connection at a distance of 30-50 feet, you would need to work on getting a CAT6 Ethernet cable strung from the output of the Internet Router over to the second Ooma Hub which needs access to that same Cable Modem. If there is a way to get the CAT6 wiring in-between floors that is fine. But this would be much more preferable than trying to do this with a Wireless Router (assuming you even have one) because of the possibility for signal drop outs and other RF interference. A wired Ethernet cord is the best way to go. I strongly recommend you work with that goal in mind.

Then you could decide to place BOTH Ooma Hubs on the Downstream from the Router. Or you might place ONE Ooma Hub Downstream, and the other Ooma Hub in-between the Cable Modem and the Router itself. This would all need to be tested out once you have the wiring in place.
One hub would be on the 3rd floor where the computer and cable modem are connected and the other hub would be on the second floor with no computer or cable modem. Right now I have no router on either floor.

The phone on the 2nd floor is a land line connection supplied by the ISP.
The taxes and fees on this phone are $24 per month and this is the phone I want to connect to a second Ooma hub with the number ported. My broadband connection would have to support two Ooma hubs. Can it be done?

Clifftr

Post by Clifftr » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:29 pm

I think this information might be useful - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=349