Please Help me with the setup

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
venkyanu
Please Help me with the setup

Post by venkyanu » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:50 am

I have only one phone jack through which my internet connection (AT&T-DSL line without phone line) is coming through. I have several phone outlets throughout the house.

Now my question is, how do I the home networking? ie., I want to connect different phones in each room so that I can pick the calls from any room?

Note that I cannot use the existing phone jack because that is where the internet connection is coming through. How do I make it to work throughout the house with this Ooma phone? I know

I would really appreciate your response.

Clifftr

Re: Please Help me with the setup

Post by Clifftr » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Your ooma service comes with a free 60 day ooma Premiere trial. Read what all comes in this package here - https://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_premier.php
If you don't pay the $99 per year to continue these additional features, ooma will automatically discontinue them for you. Part of the ooma Premier package is the 'Instant Second Line' when you plug in the ooma scout into one of your free wall jacks. (I assume you ooma system came with the ooma hub, and an ooma scout.)
So if you want a phone that is plugged into any on your existing phone wall jacks to work, you'll need an ooma scout between your phone and wall jack. That means an ooma scout for each wall jack. A way around this is to use a wireless phone system that supports as many phones as you need in the house.
You can also use 2 different wireless phone systems, one connected to the ooma hub, and one connected to the ooma scout. This is a great setup for the instant second line feature. Keep in mind that both wireless phone systems will continue to work as a single line under the ooma basic (free) package.

Hope some of this info is helpful . . .

johnboy

Re: Please Help me with the setup

Post by johnboy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi venkyanu...

I am on hold for support so I may have a while to respond. I think I know the answer. You have DSL coming across your phone wires (even without phone service??). That is the jack you have and use OOMA with your modem. That is, your DSL modem is connected to the jack that you want to use to "energize" the rest of the house with the "ooma" signal with. I have to tell you I have never heard of this. I don't know if OOMA's main line signal can co-exist with DSL signaling. It may. If so, try this. Just because you have ONE jack, it may work as an IN and OUT. Use an ordinary splitter. Connect it to the wall and connect one wire to the DSL modem as usual. The DSL modem will be connected to the OOMA as usual. Then Connect the PHONE (essentially an OUT) jack to the wall splitter. I would first test the phone jack on the back of the ooma to make sure it is working with a regular phone. If so, plug a (I would use a two center conductor wire) from that to the splitter. then plug a phone into another jack in another part of the house. If it works, send $5 to me. Just kidding.

These may use different bandwitdths and may live on the same wires ok. If not, you may want to look at using a wireless phone connected to the OOMA hub at the hub.

Let me know if any of this helps.

P.S. My OOMA is flashing Red and Blue so much tonight, I think it's Christmas.

John