Porting question - am I missing something?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Zheeeem
Porting question - am I missing something?

Post by Zheeeem » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:11 pm

OK, so I get to the part during activation where it says "it takes at least 3 weeks to port your old number, in the meantime keep your phone plugged into your landline". Am I missing something, or does this basically say to keep the hub and scout in the box, because it won't be of any use for a few weeks? Or does this mean to hook them up to the phone jack as per the 2nd picture down on page 18 in the QSG? And if so, what does the ooma do, since I'm using the landline anyhow? And how is my free trial of ooma premiere of any use if I can't actually use it?

The 3+ weeks is a bit of a putoff, since the return policy from the company I bought it from is 30 days. It seems like I won't even have time to see if the thing works OK.

trim81

Re: Porting question - am I missing something?

Post by trim81 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:19 am

Zheeeem wrote:OK, so I get to the part during activation where it says "it takes at least 3 weeks to port your old number, in the meantime keep your phone plugged into your landline". Am I missing something, or does this basically say to keep the hub and scout in the box, because it won't be of any use for a few weeks? Or does this mean to hook them up to the phone jack as per the 2nd picture down on page 18 in the QSG? And if so, what does the ooma do, since I'm using the landline anyhow? And how is my free trial of ooma premiere of any use if I can't actually use it?

The 3+ weeks is a bit of a putoff, since the return policy from the company I bought it from is 30 days. It seems like I won't even have time to see if the thing works OK.
You have 2 options:

1) Get a new number for temporary. OR

2) Call Ooma support so they can have your account setup for "hybrid" mix mode, and wait until the port is complete.

Personally, I would go with option #1.. this way I can use ooma straight from the box, and when my number ports over, I would be using the Ooma as my primary land line

garg11

Post by garg11 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:46 am

How can I sure that the porting number is done? How can I be sure that the porting process is in process?
Thanks God, ooma and USA.

skellener

Post by skellener » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:24 am

garg11 wrote:How can I sure that the porting number is done? How can I be sure that the porting process is in process?
It all comes in email. After you send in the LOA you should receive a confirmation email with the estimated date of when the port will be complete. Once the porting is complete you should receive another confirmation email. I'm not sure about why it takes 3 weeks. It may have to do with regulations and such I'm not sure. Cellphone porting certainly doesn't take as long.