Ooma device stopped working

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
murphy
Re: Ooma device stopped working

Post by murphy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:31 pm

The Telo has two MAC addresses that are one digit apart. The one on the label matches the Home port MAC address. The modem (internet) port MAC address is one higher than the Home port.

The procedure to get the update is as follows:
Turn off your modem and the Telo
Connect a LAN cable from the modem to the internet port of the Telo

If you registered the Telo to integrate with your land line, connect a phone cable from your existing land line to the wall port of the Telo. You did not get a temporary phone number in this case.

If you did not register the Telo to integrate with your land line, leave the wall port of the Telo unused. You did get a temporary phone number in this case.

Turn on the modem and wait until it syncs with your ISP. Takes 1 or 2 minutes.
Turn on the Telo and do not touch it for the next 30 minutes while it downloads and installs the latest firmware.
When it is done, all 12 lights on the Telo will be blue.

If you interrupt it during the download, at just the wrong time, you will turn it into a paper weight.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

wshafiq

Post by wshafiq » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Ooma should have provided a way to download data from the device which can then be sent to their technical support. It would have made it much easier for them to determine the exact cause of the problem. Their technical support people are very friendly, but not very helpful in resolving the problem.

My device has entered a comma and turning the modem+router+hub on/off have failed to revive it. Does anyone know if ooma hub is covered by warranty? I can't afford to spend another $250 to buy a new device every year.

Thuan.Tran

Post by Thuan.Tran » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Murphy,

It is great information.

I think I did interupt during the lastest software update. What do you mean about "If you interrupt it during the download, at just the wrong time, you will turn it into a paper weight."? Does it mean that my new device is broken? I just bought it 2 days ago. Let me try the way you advice.

Thanks,

Thuan

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 am

The firmware update involves downloading the new firmware, erasing the flash memory where it will be stored, copying the new firmware to the flash. If you pull power after the flash has been erased and before the the new copy is finished, that flash section becomes useless. I am now retired and have no actual knowledge of the hardware in the unit but I did this kind of work for 40 years. I think I read on here somewhere that there are two copies of the firmware in the unit so it would be difficult to trash both copies but at least one person has managed to do it. The part of the process that needs more emphasis in the instructions is to connect the cables and then turn the unit on and NOT TOUCH IT FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Neubiee

Post by Neubiee » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:35 am

Washq:

Not sure if you tried this: TRY Connecting your ooma directly to the modem? Unplug everything including your modem. Now connect your modem first followed by your ooma. Leave it connected for a like hour or so and see what happens.