OOMA TELO HANDSET

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Groundhound
Re: OOMA TELO HANDSET

Post by Groundhound » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:09 am

If you go to http://setup.ooma.com and then go to the Status page what is the software version at the top of the page? for the current version it should say: "Rev: 1.31387"

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:14 am

You will have to wait until the latest firmware is downloaded to the Telo. You can't force it to happen. Don't reboot the Telo when the lights start flashing because you can turn it into a brick if you interrupt it at the wrong time.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

DCbeachboy

Post by DCbeachboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:37 am

I can't access the online setup page. I only get an error message from my ISP saying, "Page Not Found! Sorry, 'setup.ooma.com' does not exist or is not available."

It has now been 24 hours since I activated and registered the handset....how long should it take to get the firmware update?
Last edited by DCbeachboy on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:41 am

DCbeachboy wrote:I can't access the online setup page. I only get an error message from my ISP saying, "Page Not Found! Sorry, 'setup.ooma.com' does not exist or is not available."
Your computer must be connected to the Home port of the ooma for this to work.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

DCbeachboy

Post by DCbeachboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 pm

OK, got logged into setup, and it shows my current device status as "Rev: 1.30644".

More importantly -- I just noticed a more significant problem with the handset. I had set the handset to be associated with my home office line, which I ported to Ooma last month. Outgoing calls work great. But I just realized that I can receive no incoming calls now at all! I tried testing incoming calls using my cell phone, and this line now doesn't ring at all in my home. It rings 2-3 times on the caller's end, then switches to a fast busy signal. No voice message, anything. Not wanting to miss a call, I quickly switched my configuration online to associate my office line with the Telo again, which would allow me to use my trusty ol' Vtech -- as I've been doing for the past couple of weeks. But now calls won't even go through to that anymore -- my home office line is dead....doesn't ring anywhere at all, or even lead to v/m. Geez....this problem makes the wrong handset number and firmware version seem wholly insignificant. :!:

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 pm

If your Telo is behind your router, put the router-assigned IP address for the Telo into the router's DMZ and then reboot the Telo to see if it will download the update.

DCbeachboy

Post by DCbeachboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Yes, the Telo is behind my router. I'm neither a complete novice nor an expert on these things, so I'm not exactly sure how to access the router-assigned IP address for my Telo, or how to set DMZ for my router.

Would I find the router-assigned IP address under "Advanced Settings" when accessing Ooma setup? (If so, I'm assuming I should use the "IP Address" field and not the "Netmask"...right?)

In order to insert this IP address into my router's DMZ, I've logged onto my router setup page, and it shows that DMZ is disabled. Should I enable it? Just temporarily until the update occurs, or permanently? Will enabling it pose any security risk? And once it is enabled, will it be obvious where to insert the IP address? BTW....The Telo is 1 of 4 components plugged directly into my router. I also noticed that the "DMZ Address" field is blank in the Ooma setup....should it be?

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:28 pm

The IP assigned by the router to the Telo should be in Status (if I remember correctly). However, just hunt through the tabs and you'll find one that says Network IP and it should be something like 192.168.1.X. Put this number in your router's DMZ (yes, you'll need to enable this for it to work). All DMZ will do is pass all internet data through the router's firewall to the IP address entered into DMZ. There is no security risk since the Telo is designed to be able to set in the internet (in front of the router).

No reason to setup anything in the DMZ of the Telo since you don't have anything behind it. The only reason you'd do this is if you have the Telo in front of your router and you wanted to forward all traffic to the router. Then you would assign the Router's IP (assigned by the Telo) into the Telo's DMZ.
Go AVS!

DCbeachboy

Post by DCbeachboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:08 pm

OK, I've enabled DMZ on my router, and inserted what I HOPE is the correct IP address for the Telo....though I'm not at all sure. I found IP addresses in 2 places within Ooma setup:

1) Status > Network:
Modem: Connected: [192.xxx.x.xxx] This is the IP I used.
Home: Connected: [172.xx.xx.x]

2) Advanced Settings
IP Address: [172.xx.xx.x] (same IP listed under "Home" above)
Netmask: [255.xxx.xxx.x]
Also, DMZ Address here is blank. Should I insert something there?

I rebooted the Telo, and hoping now that the firmware update will come through. Any idea how long before that may happen? How will I know -- just by logging into My Ooma periodically to check? I'm not able to receive any incoming calls at all at this point, so keeping my fingers crossed the update will restore service.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:13 pm

You used the right IP... Everything on the advanced page has to do with LAN settings and since you don't have anything plugged in behind the Telo (connected to the HOME Port) you shouldn't need this. Also, the HOME IP is the address assigned to the HOME port on your Telo. Again, this is only important if you have your network directly behind the Telo (connected to the HOME port).

Updates seem to come down instantly but give it overnight just to be sure.
Go AVS!