OOMA TELO HANDSET

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
costanzo98031
Telo Handset - New Firmware to Resolve Issues?

Post by costanzo98031 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:25 pm

When will the next firmware be release? I sure hope next week. I did see an indication that next week the online phone book feature will available - so maybe that means a release is coming?

As it stands, the new telo handset is unusable. It has major issues with sound quality and range. I think the latest firmware released last weekend was helpful and did solve a lot of problems; however, using it for a few days has proven it to be not reliable to use as a cordless phone. Calls get dropped, sound is gargled or the sound fads in and out while on the phone.

I truly hope these issues will be resolved with a future software update, if not I plan to return the three handsets I purchased from Best Buy before my 30 day window closes.

My expectations are that the sound quality will be of the same as if I were using a phone connected to the hub. So far calls I place and receive from the phone connected to the hub sound great.

Ooma, can you please give us an indication on what issues are being worked on with the next firmware release as well as an ETA? Also, is there anyway people can have access to beta releases or daily builds of the firmware to help test? We can sign and Non-Disclosure agreement if needed.

Thanks

dsinternet

Re: OOMA TELO HANDSET

Post by dsinternet » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:51 pm

I have been waiting since early 2009 to buy a ooma system. I hear the telo would be out by June 1 so I figured I would wait. I waited and waited and waited. It finally came out and I hear that the handset would not be out until Nov. So I waited some more. I figured the newest system would be better then the Hub and Scout. I got Telo set up about 25 days ago and noticed the sound quality was not as good as Vonage which I just dropped 2 weeks ago. I figured that the sound quality would be better once I got my Telo Handset. Well, I got the handset today and the sound quality is worse then before. I have a 5+ year cordless phone that has better sound quality using the Telo system then the Telo Handset. I really want ooma to be successful and want to support them. I was wondering if someone can tell me if I should return my handset or should I hold on and hope for an update that might make things better. I had Vonage for almost 3 years and never once had a sound quality issue. The ooma forum convinced me that the Hub and Scout was a much better system and I switch from Vonage to ooma. Please tell me something that make me feel like I did the right thing. This is my first post, but I have been reading the ooma forum post since January 2009. The people on this forum are so helpful. Thank you for your support in keeping me informed, helping me install my brothers Telo, helping me activate my account, helping me set up my Telo handset, and telling we when I can expect updates like the contact list. When I have a question I go right to the forum and quickly get the solution. Thank you so much.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 pm

dsinternet wrote:I have been waiting since early 2009 to buy a ooma system. I hear the telo would be out by June 1 so I figured I would wait. I waited and waited and waited. It finally came out and I hear that the handset would not be out until Nov. So I waited some more. I figured the newest system would be better then the Hub and Scout. I got Telo set up about 25 days ago and noticed the sound quality was not as good as Vonage which I just dropped 2 weeks ago. I figured that the sound quality would be better once I got my Telo Handset. Well, I got the handset today and the sound quality is worse then before. I have a 5+ year cordless phone that has better sound quality using the Telo system then the Telo Handset. I really want ooma to be successful and want to support them. I was wondering if someone can tell me if I should return my handset or should I hold on and hope for an update that might make things better. I had Vonage for almost 3 years and never once had a sound quality issue. The ooma forum convinced me that the Hub and Scout was a much better system and I switch from Vonage to ooma. Please tell me something that make me feel like I did the right thing. This is my first post, but I have been reading the ooma forum post since January 2009. The people on this forum are so helpful. Thank you for your support in keeping me informed, helping me install my brothers Telo, helping me activate my account, helping me set up my Telo handset, and telling we when I can expect updates like the contact list. When I have a question I go right to the forum and quickly get the solution. Thank you so much.
Welcome to the Ooma Forums. As you know from your reading, there are many people here willing to help you get the most from your Telo and handset. In a large thread like this one it's difficult to focus on one user's issues, so I'd recommend starting a new thread with as complete a description of the problems you are having as you can give, plus as much info as you can provide regarding your setup, ISP, etc.

costanzo98031

Post by costanzo98031 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:25 pm

dsinternet wrote:Please tell me something that make me feel like I did the right thing.
I too have been watching ooma's technology for a while... I think your choice to move from Vonage to ooma won't come back to haunt you. Personal, I used Vonage for years and can say I am happy I moved to ooma. The quality of the calls, the interface in which to view your setting is great. Their customer service is also great and they seam to be active in listening to their customers and responding to their questions.

The only thing I am struggling with is the telo handsets I purchased from Best Buy. From reading on this forum and my own personal experience, there seams to be issues; however, I truly think this will be resolved with an update to the software.

I am eagerly waiting to see what a new release will do for the sound and range issues. If they are unable to resolve it with a firmware update, I plan to fall back and just use a traditional phone with the hub. I have a small window of time before I can return my handsets from Best Buy... so I am going to wait it out for a week or so.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks costanzo98031 for your comment.
I don't see that my issues are any different from everyone elses that I have read. I too will hold out for a little while and hope the updates solve the problem. If they don't I will drop the Telo Handset. Which means that I will also not use the Premier service, since you need the Handset to get the full benefits of Premier. I wish the Telo had something like the Scout since there are so many nice cordless phones out there that would work great with the Telo.

Jay521

Post by Jay521 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Anyone know how to get phone numbers uploaded to the handset? Or is this option not available yet?

Also, if you're on a call, you cannot see incoming caller id information since the screen does not light up. Hopefully there will be a firmware correction for this?

costanzo98031

Post by costanzo98031 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Jay521 wrote:Anyone know how to get phone numbers uploaded to the handset? Or is this option not available yet?
It's not ready yet. You can go to the website: https://my.ooma.com/contacts. Looks like it will be ready next week.

jcarcopo

Post by jcarcopo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm

None of our grievances are important, Ooma making Xmas shopping season was more important.

The Telo handset is at best, a horrible DECT 6.0 cordless. My panasonic dect phones sound better, have superior range, does not use overpriced battery packs that are proprietary (Panasonic uses AAA 1.2 V NMH standard batteries costing a couple of bucks), has a brighter and easily read display, doesn't lag between button pushes, doesn't have audible artifacts, and the list could go on.

Merry Xmas

I'm returning all of my telo handsets and telo hub and going back to my reliable ooma setup that was working.

costanzo98031

Post by costanzo98031 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:58 pm

jcarcopo wrote:I'm returning all of my telo handsets and telo hub and going back to my reliable ooma setup that was working.
I am holding judgment till the next firmware update... Rumor has it, that it might be out tomorrow or Wednesday. I purchased 3 and have 1 coming from ooma. I really want this product to work so I am keeping my finders crossed.

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:00 pm

jcarcopo wrote:None of our grievances are important, Ooma making Xmas shopping season was more important.

The Telo handset is at best, a horrible DECT 6.0 cordless. My panasonic dect phones sound better, have superior range, does not use overpriced battery packs that are proprietary (Panasonic uses AAA 1.2 V NMH standard batteries costing a couple of bucks), has a brighter and easily read display, doesn't lag between button pushes, doesn't have audible artifacts, and the list could go on.

Merry Xmas

I'm returning all of my telo handsets and telo hub and going back to my reliable ooma setup that was working.
Now I don't feel that my other posts were so negative. :o

I really don't think that the telo itself is bad. I do suspect that your first statement goes to the heart of the matter. I suspect that we are more likely to see a telo handset(ver2) before we see a telo(ver2). At least if ooma gets their hardware act together.

So far, I am happy with the Telo. The handset on the other hand, no pun intended, I tend to agree.
At the least, I think that the majority are happy with the ooma no phone bill experience.

cheers