Using existing house wiring

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bigcritter
Using existing house wiring

Post by bigcritter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:11 pm

I currently have Comcast Digital Voice (VOIP) phone service. When it was installed, they disconnected the regular phone line at the box outside, & put a jumper in or whatever so that once my modem was plugged in & connected to the nearest phone jack, ALL phones in the house work as they did prior to Digital Voice. In other words, ALL phone outlets are HOT, and any phones, DVRs, etc. connected to them work as normal. When I hook up my ooma hub, will all my phone jacks continue to operate the same way........ or am I expecting too much? What IS the best way to hook in the ooma hub to accomplish this........ if it's possible?? Thanks in advance for you response!

Leeway

Re: Using existing house wiring

Post by Leeway » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Yes, it will work the same. Put a telephone wire from the Hub to the nearest jack and all will ring.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Yes, your ooma can power your entire house. I am going to asssume that you have cable for your internet provider. Disconnect the telephone wire from your Comcast router/ATA and plug it into the PHONE jack on the ooma. All will work just fine. Make sure when you register your ooma that you ask for a new number. If you want to port your old number, then you will need to keep Comcast voice active (maybe with just a single phone on where the cord to the wall plugged in) until the port is complete. If you discontinue Comcast voice before a port is completed you will lose your number.

And welcome to ooma and the forums! You are going to like it here. :cool:

PS I've copied this to your identical post so you will see the answer. Usually one post is enough. :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

SullyVB8

Post by SullyVB8 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:22 pm

This is off topic a little... but using the same "Subject".

I am a cable internet user and USE to have phone access from that provider, never a landline type of situation. Our Ooma Hub has been up and running and doing great. I want to get my scout up and running with a new number.

There are two additional jacks in the house, one in the kitchen and one in a bedroom. I plugged in the Scout to each one (separetely of course) and got the same response... all four bottom buttons are red, which tells me that where the Ooma Hub is located, that wire isn't on the same wire at those (2) two additional outlets are around the house.

The picture of the splitter had me wondering if this would fix my problem. Yes?? I'm not one to open up the wall cover where the outlets are to fiddle with the wires... or "gulp" is that my only option? :shock:

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 pm

SullyVB8 wrote:This is off topic a little... but using the same "Subject".

I am a cable internet user and USE to have phone access from that provider, never a landline type of situation. Our Ooma Hub has been up and running and doing great. I want to get my scout up and running with a new number.

There are two additional jacks in the house, one in the kitchen and one in a bedroom. I plugged in the Scout to each one (separetely of course) and got the same response... all four bottom buttons are red, which tells me that where the Ooma Hub is located, that wire isn't on the same wire at those (2) two additional outlets are around the house.

The picture of the splitter had me wondering if this would fix my problem. Yes?? I'm not one to open up the wall cover where the outlets are to fiddle with the wires... or "gulp" is that my only option? :shock:

Any assistance would be appreciated.
The splitter should work for you. Plug the splitter into a jack in the room your hub is in and plug the hub's wall and phone ports into the splitter. In the room where you want your scout plug the scout's wall port into a wall jack. The scout's ooma tab should turn blue after a few seconds and you can plug a phone into the scout's phone port. Because of the splitter your hub will still distribute its dial tone to the other jack.