Need help installing Telo

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Becky
Need help installing Telo

Post by Becky » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:31 pm

This looks like a good place to get installation help.

We just got our Telo and can't get it set up correctly. Here is our situation, our only communication to the outside world is with Hughesnet for the computer internet and Dishnet for the TV, no land lines of any kind. We tried to hook up the Telo to the Dishnet receiver (model 625 two room system DVR) and got nothing. Tried to hook the Telo to the Hughesnet hub and finally got a dial tone. Problem is that if we call someone we can hear them ok but all they can hear is a very broken up senseless voice. It also slows our internet way down even when not trying to use the phone.
We would prefer to have it hooked up to the Dishnet receiver if possible but don’t know how to do it. If we have to we will use the Hughsnet if we can work out the bugs. Hopefully someone here can help us get this thing to work.
Thanks for looking,

Becky

tommies

Re: Need help installing Telo

Post by tommies » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm

I guess it's the quality of your internet. Please do a speed test and post the result here, I'm sure some one will help you with that.
Here is the link of the speed test:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
tommies

larry j

Post by larry j » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:19 pm

I don't think satellite internet service is going to be even close to fast enough to support any VOIP system. It's too slow. :(

Becky

Post by Becky » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:51 am

Test results

I don’t know what it all means but from what I read from the test results it doesn’t look good for using our Hughesnet dish as a connection.
Jitter 121.7ms
Packet loss 0.0%
MOS score 3.3
Download speed 240kbps
Upload speed 169kbps
Quality of service 0%

So if that is a no go is there some way I can hook this thing up to my Dish Network system?
Thanks again for any help offered.

Becky

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:07 am

Becky wrote:So if that is a no go is there some way I can hook this thing up to my Dish Network system?
Thanks again for any help offered.

Becky
Unfortunately any Internet service involving home satellite receivers or transmitters is not likely to support VoIP. Either from Ooma or anyone else.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:12 am

When you talk about DishNetwork I am a little confused. Dish itself is only a satellite television provider. They do partner with WildBlue to offer Internet access, but if you already have HughesNet, I wonder if you really have WildBlue too or just Dish for TV. In either case, your ability to use VoIP over a satellite connection may lead to less than satisfactory performance. If you do have WildBlue, do the same connection and testing you did with HughesNet and post the results here.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.