Port forwarding with Ooma?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
murphy
Re: Port forwarding with Ooma?

Post by murphy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:06 pm

TonyB wrote:IP Address = 172.27.35.123
Did you power cycle everything? The router should have IP address 172.27.35.10.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Thank you ifican. It's something I forgot... When troubleshooting with the tech, she had me try port 81, then back to 80. In the manual for the DVR, they recommend for security reasons to not use port 80, and use 85 as an example. I just did a query, and it does seem that my provider (Verizon) does block this port, inbound. Good call, thanks.

So, I'm rolling with an HTTP port of 85 on the DVR. Within Ooma Avanced Setting, under Port Forwarding, it now reads: Ports = 85, Type = UDP & TCP (wasn't sure, so picked both, as did the rep), Forwarded To = 172.27.35.10:85

On the AirPort Extreme router:

Public UDP Ports = 85
Public TCP Ports = 85
Private IP Address = 10.0.1.6 (that of the surveillance DVR)
Private UDP Ports = 85
Private TCP Ports = 85

When I power-cycled the DVR, it's IP addressed changed from 10.0.1.3 to 10.0.1.6... I believe that's due to DHCP.

murphy - I did not power cycle the router. I did force an update though, after every change so it takes effect. To be safe, I will power cycle it and the DSL modem as well...

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:43 pm

Ok, I power-cycled, for about 1 minute:

Westell DSL Modem
Ooma Hub
Apple AirPort Extreme

I went into the router utility and still see this:

IP Address = 172.27.35.123
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
Router Address = 172.27.35.1

I've got to get some work done on the holiday decorations... Thanks for any further ideas you might have.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I don't understand why the router is getting IP address .123 when the table in the ooma is constrained to only issue .10.
You didn't give the router a static IP address did you?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ifican

Post by ifican » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:57 pm

So something i did not pick up on the first read through. Your DVR is behind your router, so you can do several things, router in ooma dmz, dvr is dmz of router. Can also port forward all the way through. Port 85 tcp on ooma to router, then port forward 85 router to dvr ip. Either should work, but what i am not seeing is the forwarding of the traffic from your router to your dvr.

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:29 pm

murphy wrote:I don't understand why the router is getting IP address .123 when the table in the ooma is constrained to only issue .10.
You didn't give the router a static IP address did you?
:shock:

Maybe? :? After doing some reading, I concluded that the info found here is what I needed to follow... I states that I need a static IP, on the computer. It should not be on the router, but you have me wondering if I botched this... From that link, here is where they explain setting-up the static IP first. I will go-over it again now...

Thanks!

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Not sure how it happened, but I did have the router on manual... It's now on DHCP. I power-cycled everything again, and it still has the same router address! Not 172.27.35.10 - the DHCP start & end address and the DMZ as designated on the Ooma.

Back to the need for a static IP address. I guess this whole process has confused me... Do I need to have every device on my network set-up with a static IP, or just the surveillance DVR that I wish to reach and control remotely?

Also, is anyone doing what I'm attempting to accomplish here, with the Ooma between the modem and router? It would be very re-assuring to know that. While I did a search before starting this thread, I only search this sub-forum (Installation). While Googling, I found this discussion here, but in a different sub-forum:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=116

I'm starting to wonder if this really is doable. If not, I need to consider switching-around the Ooma and the wireless router; as someone said early-on...

Thanks much.

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:18 pm

TonyB wrote:Not sure how it happened, but I did have the router on manual... It's now on DHCP. I power-cycled everything again, and it still has the same router address! Not 172.27.35.10 - the DHCP start & end address and the DMZ as designated on the Ooma.
You might need to double check the setting, and make sure that you save the setting before reboot.

Note that when power cycle the devices, order is important: started with the modem, and then follow the connection chain, for exemple, in your set up, it's modem, ooma, router, pc's+dvr
Back to the need for a static IP address. I guess this whole process has confused me... Do I need to have every device on my network set-up with a static IP, or just the surveillance DVR that I wish to reach and control remotely?
Any device(s) that needs the port forwarding, has to have the same ip every time, hence the static ip is needed. Some router uses a different terminology, (such as Dlink--reserved ip address). The idea is ensure the device will have the same ip address every time for the port forward to work. There are two ways of archiving this
  • set static ip with in the device, not recomended, because over time, one tent to lost tract of it.
  • set static ip/reserved ip in the router for each device that need it base on each device MAC, This is what I use,
I have static ip on all my pc/devices on my LAN, so I can have QoS for each of them.
Also, is anyone doing what I'm attempting to accomplish here, with the Ooma between the modem and router? It would be very re-assuring to know that. While I did a search before starting this thread, I only search this sub-forum (Installation). While Googling, I found this discussion here, but in a different sub-forum:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=116

I'm starting to wonder if this really is doable. If not, I need to consider switching-around the Ooma and the wireless router; as someone said early-on...

Thanks much.
This ooma in front or behind the router is a personal choice, and each have its own pro. and con. For me, I have it behind my router. The only issue with this set up is that the router has to have a solid QoS support to ensure the ooma call quality. The plus side is that it simplify the LAN a lot. not double NAT, etc.
tommies

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Tommies, thanks for the thorough and thoughtful reply.

I will do some double-checking on the router settings, but in a Mac, there is no save per se. Just make the change and exit...

So, since I only want to reach the DVR in question remotely, only that will need a static IP, if I understood correctly. I need to look at the best way to accomplish this. The DVR is always on, but does get a new IP upon power cycle or of course after a power outage. Thanks for the clarification...

Ok, if this all fails, and since I'm aware of no one who actually is running with what I wish to do, I'll end the anguish and move the Ooma.

Tommies, if I go this route, what, if anything will I need to change in the various settings that we've been discussing? I realize that I'l need to play with QOS for the Ooma via my router, but I trust that will be possible...

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:51 pm

TonyB wrote:Tommies, thanks for the thorough and thoughtful reply.

I will do some double-checking on the router settings, but in a Mac, there is no save per se. Just make the change and exit...
Well, make sure that the change holds, es. that the router is on DHCP not manual, etc. so it will receive its ip from ooma hub.
So, since I only want to reach the DVR in question remotely, only that will need a static IP, if I understood correctly. I need to look at the best way to accomplish this. The DVR is always on, but does get a new IP upon power cycle or of course after a power outage. Thanks for the clarification...
Yes.
Ok, if this all fails, and since I'm aware of no one who actually is running with what I wish to do, I'll end the anguish and move the Ooma.

Tommies, if I go this route, what, if anything will I need to change in the various settings that we've been discussing? I realize that I'l need to play with QOS for the Ooma via my router, but I trust that will be possible...
If you move the hub to behind the router, you need to set up QoS in the router to give the ooma the highest priority. This will vary from brand to brand, and make sure that your router does support QoS or the call quality will suffer.
tommies