blinking blue logo for hours

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
WayneDsr
Re: blinking blue logo for hours

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 am

None of the users in this forum can change support. Ranting about support isn't going to help you here. We all know that support at this time is not always great. We got that. The users in this forum are here to help. I'm willing to bet that the Telo is not the problem, you've had 2 of them and still can't connect. I could be wrong, but with out more information we'll never know. Granted, you're a smart person, but sometimes a second set of eyes can see something you're missing entirely.

Wayne

mfregeau

Post by mfregeau » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:04 am

Groundhound wrote:
mfregeau wrote:Before you post something you may want to browse the forums. Let me know how many positives you find in comparisons to negative feedback or people having issues.
Actually, I have browsed the forums once or twice, but I obviously don't know as much as you. I saw in your earlier post that you are returning your Ooma equipment today, and I wish you better luck with your next phone company.
Ah the ever popular, quote 1 question again. Too funny. I will go away now, I promise. Thank You for the well wishes and Have a Great day.

mfregeau

Post by mfregeau » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:05 am

WayneDsr wrote:None of the users in this forum can change support. Ranting about support isn't going to help you here. We all know that support at this time is not always great. We got that. The users in this forum are here to help. I'm willing to bet that the Telo is not the problem, you've had 2 of them and still can't connect. I could be wrong, but with out more information we'll never know. Granted, you're a smart person, but sometimes a second set of eyes can see something you're missing entirely.

Wayne
I am the dumbest person ever, nuff said. Have a Nice day.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:06 am

mfregeau wrote:
Groundhound wrote:
mfregeau wrote:Before you post something you may want to browse the forums. Let me know how many positives you find in comparisons to negative feedback or people having issues.
Actually, I have browsed the forums once or twice, but I obviously don't know as much as you. I saw in your earlier post that you are returning your Ooma equipment today, and I wish you better luck with your next phone company.
Ah the ever popular, quote 1 question again. Too funny. I will go away now, I promise. Thank You for the well wishes and Have a Great day.
I've no desire to reply to every point of your rant. I'm not an Ooma employee, so I owe you nothing. When I offer help to someone it's because it pleases me to do so. Like a lot of frequent posters here I first signed up to get help with a problem, and stuck around to "pay it forward" and because I derive enjoyment when I'm occasionally able to assist someone. No doubt that Ooma's phone support is not up to the task of dealing with a new product roll-out coupled with the holiday shopping surge, but I have little patience with someone who shows up here with nothing but a repeating rant and no desire for anything else. Buh-bye now.

rajeshchar

Post by rajeshchar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:28 am

Ok, so I had the exact same issue, and I am glad to report, that after 2 days and 4 different calls to support, I was FINALLY able to get through to someone who actually knew what they were doing and how to solve my problem.
Here's my setup:
DSL Modem (AT&T), Linksys Wireless-N router, Ooma Telo, Panasonic DECT6.0 KX-TG1061 base and 3 cordless handsets.

When I took the Ooma out of the box, I noticed the flat ethernet cable that was included. A closer look revealed that
it was a crossover ethernet cable, and thinking that they may have shipped the wrong type, I grabbed a standard ethernet cable and used that to hookup my Ooma to the DSL Modem. My configuration was as suggested in the quick start guide: Phone line from wall -> DSL modem -> Ooma Telo. When I booted it up, I had the same frustrating experience as many of you - blue logo kept blinking for hours, and there was nothing in the documentation or guide that told me what that meant. Anyway, long story short, the first 3 calls to support all ended up with them telling me to leave the Telo running for a couple of hours and see if it successfully updated. It didn't, and this morning, I called support again - this time a girl named "Emma" answered, and she was EXTREMELY helpful and very knowledgeable. It was obvious that she had dealt with this issue before, so she proceeded to walk me through the setup one more time.
1. She asked me to switch my configuration so my Telo was connected to my Linksys router, not directly to the DSL modem. So now, my configuration looks like this: Phone line from wall -> DSL modem -> Linksys router -> Ooma Telo. In addition, she asked me to switch the ethernet cable back to the crossover cable that came with the Ooma.
2. She asked me to disable my router firewall protection.
3. Once I rebooted my Telo, it cycled through the bootstrap sequence of blinking lights. The logo blinked for a good 5 minutes or so, but at the very end, it actually finished the update. and the Telo now showed all the buttons in blue. Success! My Telo was successfully setup. Emma stayed with me while I placed a couple of test calls to make sure everything was working as expected.
4. I re-enabled my firewall protection on my router.

Finally, I asked Emma if I was expected to switch the configuration back to the original recommendation in the startup guide. She said no. I'm taking her word for it and leaving it as it is for now. I'm going to monitor QOS to see if there is any degradation in voice/call quality, but so far all the calls I've made have been crystal clear.

Here's hoping this solves all your problems too. If not, call support, and see if you can ask to speak to Emma. She was awesome! I give her 5 stars!

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:54 am

Nice write-up. I'm sure your post will be linked to many times.