Installation Woes

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jaguar101
Installation Woes

Post by jaguar101 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 am

I have called customer service 5 times now with five different configurations that do not work. The phone will not ring. I had my home number ported so it was vitally important to have this work right away. I have a separate modem and router. What they do not tell you in the instructions is what wire to put back to your computer and from where. I could see where calls were coming in but no phone would ring. I have a phone line coming from the wall that controls the entire home including portable phones. I know this works because I have a majic jack also and when I connect this to the computer for MJ all phones work, ring, have caller ID, etc. However there has been no configuration given to me to have this work and no phone will ring but it will register online. I was told one time that I had to call Cox Communications and have them open a separate internet port using UDP 53 or another list they give me for numbers. When I called Cox, they told me that was a router problema and they do not handle this.

Is this a router conflict and what should I do? I feel that I cannot call OOMA support because the support people do not have the technical capability to answer this. Right now I have MJ hooked up with my OOMA number being forwarded to it so I can have home service. What can I do?

Groundhound

Re: Installation Woes

Post by Groundhound » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 am

For starters, what Ooma device do you have, Telo or Hub?

How is each component of your system (modem, Ooma device, router) connected to each other? Be specific, name the ports on the back of each device what each is connected to.

What kind of Internet service do you have?

jaguar101

Post by jaguar101 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:24 am

Teleo

I set it up as it states in Option 2A

Ethernet cable Telo Home Network port to Internet port on router

Internet port on Telo to Ethernet port on modem

Phone wire from home is going to the wall port on telo

Would you then connect another ethernet wire from modem to PC? I need my other wireless devices to work. When I did it this way, the laptops confirmed that they were "connected to my home network" but did not have internet service.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:41 am

Let's get your phone service working first. Are all the Telo's lights (assuming you don't have them dimmed) blue? If you connect a phone to the Telo's phone port does that phone work?

jaguar101

Post by jaguar101 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:34 pm

The telo was all blue and when the phone was plugged in to the wall port it did work. However, it never was able to ring. I actually was making calls from my other handsets in the home. When I was making a call, the Telo did remain all blue and one rep stated that I should be seeing orange on the number 1 which I did not.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 pm

If you've ported your number and no longer have a TELCO landline, you should have nothing plugged into the Telo's wall port. Only the phone port can be used to extend dialtone to your home's jacks. You should disconnect the TELCO line from your house wiring at the demarc box so voltage on the line does not cause a problem.

jaguar101

Post by jaguar101 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:55 pm

Given that and I will do that but how then will I configure the wire that needs to go back to the computer so that it will not conflict with my wireless devices and allow internet connectivity? I truly appreciate your comments and direction and when I have all of your advice, will tackle this in its entirety.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:08 pm

You didn't say what kind of router you have, but if there is an available LAN port on the router (most typically have 4) you would plug an Ethernet cable into one of those and then to your computer. Reboot the router then the computer. If that doesn't work tell us what the model router you have is and we can go from there.

jaguar101

Post by jaguar101 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:42 pm

I have a Linksys Wirless N Router Model Number WRT160N Version 3

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:38 pm

That has an integrated 4-port switch which should work fine. Just plug an Ethernet cable between one of those ports and your computer and reboot as I said earlier.