ooma Hub working fine ... cannot get scout connected

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
BruceG
Re: ooma Hub working fine ... cannot get scout connected

Post by BruceG » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks for your input. At this time I'm still unable to firgure out the issue, but I've got ATT coming next week - switching from Comcast to UVerse, and I hope they can shed some light on it for me.

Regards,
Bruce

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:10 am

Longshot:
Bad telco cable running from the ooma hub (wall) to the wall jack??

Wayne

inrame

Post by inrame » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:02 am

this is a bit more of a long-shot, but i had a similar problem. it turned out to be my wall jack. in my case, the wall jack had a special DSL filter hard-wired and was working on a different "circuit" than the rest of the jacks in my house (because i was having some issues with the DSL). i resolved this by having the phone company install another jack on the same circuit next to my dsl jack.

you can test this out by either moving your hub to another location, or running a long phone cord from the hub to a different phone jack than you use for the dsl.

BruceG

Post by BruceG » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:28 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Bruce

zeppelin

Post by zeppelin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 am

My issue with the scout may be related. I noticed that internet would slow down to the point that it would disconnect when I used the phone on the scout. The phone on the hub worked fine. I did as the directions said and that was to connect the scout directly to the phone jack. I was also still in the process of porting my number and hadn't had my DSL dry looped yet.
To fix this problem I connected the scout to the DSL portion of the DSL filter. I know that when dry loop is implemented then I will have to disconnect this but you could try this to see if it makes a difference for you. so to be clear, I have the Filter dongle plugged into the phone jack on the wall, the scout is plugged into the DSL modem port of the dongle.

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 pm

AngelaKendig wrote:
BruceG wrote:I've verified lines (hub and scout) all have regular dial tone, and all ring a standard phone at my number.
If your getting dialtone where your plugging the scout in, that's a problem. Sounds like you have patched the PHONE port on the hub to your wall jack. You want the WALL port connected to your wall jack to get the scout working. Ooma has problems with long runs of standard telco wiring I've read. Test your scout by plugging it in directly to the WALL port on your hub. Someone else posted that they inadvertently had both PHONE and WALL ports going to thier house wiring giving them both dial tone and scout option at every wall jack. I have not tried this yet.
I'm having the same problem with my scout - when I plug it directly into the wall and connect it to the wall port of the scout, I get all red.

I tried connecting it directly to the wall port on the hub to the wall port on the scout and I also got all red. Does this mean that there is a problem with the scout?

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 pm

turtlebud wrote:
AngelaKendig wrote:
BruceG wrote:I've verified lines (hub and scout) all have regular dial tone, and all ring a standard phone at my number.
If your getting dialtone where your plugging the scout in, that's a problem. Sounds like you have patched the PHONE port on the hub to your wall jack. You want the WALL port connected to your wall jack to get the scout working. Ooma has problems with long runs of standard telco wiring I've read. Test your scout by plugging it in directly to the WALL port on your hub. Someone else posted that they inadvertently had both PHONE and WALL ports going to thier house wiring giving them both dial tone and scout option at every wall jack. I have not tried this yet.
I'm having the same problem with my scout - when I plug it directly into the wall and connect it to the wall port of the scout, I get all red.

I tried connecting it directly to the wall port on the hub to the wall port on the scout and I also got all red. Does this mean that there is a problem with the scout?
Problem solved thanks in part to a call into ooma tech support.

1. IF you have an integrated landline (ie, not a new ooma number), then your hub wall port should be plugged into the splitter attached to the wall.
2. in order to test whether the scout works by plugging it directly into the wall port of the hub, you will need to use another splitter in the wall port of the hub - with one line going to the wall/splitter and one line going to wall port of the scout (was that confusing?)
3. after trying that, the scout gave me the blue ooma light

Now, this is what I did WRONG. I was using the dsl/phone splitter that came with my DSL modem at the wall where the DSL was coming out. What I should have done is use the splitter that came with the ooma. Not sure what the main differences are, but after switching the splitter plugged into the wall to the ooma splitter, the scout gave me a blue ooma light when I plugged it into the wall in another room.

Wanted to post here to hopefully help anyone in the same situation.

Thanks!

LRR

Post by LRR » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:45 am

so ive read every post and spent hours on the phone with support. No SCOUT working!! here's my setup.... i have my original phone number and no second ooma number. ive started the porting process. my apartment is 2 years old and all wall jacks are home runs to a central panel where i have a hubbell punch down panel. all brand new.

my hub works no problem and is connected to my cable modem and the wall jack. when i connect my scout to any of the 7 other wall jacks i have i get nothing but 4 red lights and normal dial-tone if i plug a phone into the scout.... scout does work when plugged directly into the hub.

very, very frustrating...

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:37 am

I'm sure you've done this, but just so we know:

On the hub:
WALL goes out to the phone wall jack in the wall,
PHONE goes to a phone connected to the hub.

On the Scout:
WALL goes to the wall jack in the other room,
PHONE goes to a phone connected to the Scout.

Also make SURE all phone cables are working cables. This one happened to me at one point with a brand new cable.

If all this is correct, then it has to be either the wiring in your apt. or maybe a weird voltage in the line.
I wonder what would happen if you disconnect the internal wiring from the telephone company's connection at the box. (besides temp. losing your landline)

Yes, it can be frustrating, I feel your pain.

wayne

LRR

Post by LRR » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 am

WayneDsr wrote:I'm sure you've done this, but just so we know:

On the hub:
WALL goes out to the phone wall jack in the wall,
PHONE goes to a phone connected to the hub. "yes"

On the Scout:
WALL goes to the wall jack in the other room,
PHONE goes to a phone connected to the Scout. "yes"

Also make SURE all phone cables are working cables. This one happened to me at one point with a brand new cable. "tried several of them"

If all this is correct, then it has to be either the wiring in your apt. or maybe a weird voltage in the line. "the only thing ive noticed is when i plug a toner/checker inline i get a reversed polarity signal". not sure this would matter.

I wonder what would happen if you disconnect the internal wiring from the telephone company's connection at the box. (besides temp. losing your landline) tried this but since im still using my landline until the port is done i think the hub and scout go RED since it cant detect phone service

Yes, it can be frustrating, I feel your pain." very, very much so..."

wayne