ooma Hub working fine ... cannot get scout connected

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
turtlebud
Re: ooma Hub working fine ... cannot get scout connected

Post by turtlebud » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 am

LRR wrote:so ive read every post and spent hours on the phone with support. No SCOUT working!! here's my setup.... i have my original phone number and no second ooma number. ive started the porting process. my apartment is 2 years old and all wall jacks are home runs to a central panel where i have a hubbell punch down panel. all brand new.

my hub works no problem and is connected to my cable modem and the wall jack. when i connect my scout to any of the 7 other wall jacks i have i get nothing but 4 red lights and normal dial-tone if i plug a phone into the scout.... scout does work when plugged directly into the hub.

very, very frustrating...
just one question LRR, are you using the splitter that came with your ooma hub to plug into the wall or are you using an existing splitter that your DSL company gave you when you got your DSL service? If you're using a DSL splitter, switch that out with the ooma splitter and try again.

LRR

Post by LRR » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:57 am

turtlebud wrote:
LRR wrote:so ive read every post and spent hours on the phone with support. No SCOUT working!! here's my setup.... i have my original phone number and no second ooma number. ive started the porting process. my apartment is 2 years old and all wall jacks are home runs to a central panel where i have a hubbell punch down panel. all brand new.

my hub works no problem and is connected to my cable modem and the wall jack. when i connect my scout to any of the 7 other wall jacks i have i get nothing but 4 red lights and normal dial-tone if i plug a phone into the scout.... scout does work when plugged directly into the hub.

very, very frustrating...
just one question LRR, are you using the splitter that came with your ooma hub to plug into the wall or are you using an existing splitter that your DSL company gave you when you got your DSL service? If you're using a DSL splitter, switch that out with the ooma splitter and try again.
I'm using Cable Modem, NO DSL.

LRR

Post by LRR » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:13 pm

so thats it? all of you have both the Hub & Scout working and no clues.... what a shame.

BruceG

Post by BruceG » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 pm

LRR wrote:so thats it? all of you have both the Hub & Scout working and no clues.... what a shame.

OP here - no, actually I don't. But after trying the suggestions in the forum I'm unsure why itsn't not working.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:37 pm

Do you have landline service at the moment or are you using Cable for phone?

Wayne

LRR

Post by LRR » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:21 am

WayneDsr wrote:Do you have landline service at the moment or are you using Cable for phone?im using both at the moment while i wait for my port to go through. ooma says im configured to use my existing landline for local and ooma/cable for long distance during the porting phase.

Wayne

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:57 am

I would try connecting the hub/scouts via line 2. I'm going to assume that line 2 is properly connected to your phone jack, since your house is only 2 years old. Get a splitter from Radio Shack that splits one wall jack into line one and line 2. Do this at the scouts end as well as the hub.
This way, you are utilizing line 2 which should be "clean" of any phone voltages.

Wayne

Carl

Post by Carl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:11 am

I was having similar problems getting my scout to work too, see if my post will help you: http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=825

LRR

Post by LRR » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:21 am

carl,

nice setup. mine is similar but my cat 5 for telco is punched down directly to a 110 block in my networking closet.the only RJ type jacks on the block are for alarm and test. im not sure i can connect the incoming line from verizon directly into the hub (ooma) because of this and i dont want the ooma hub in my closet. i have homeruns from each of those punchdowns to jacks in various places in the apartment

thanks for the info
Attachments
hubbell.jpeg
hubbell.jpeg (3.33KiB)Viewed 5743 times

LRR

Post by LRR » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:25 am

WayneDsr wrote:I would try connecting the hub/scouts via line 2. I'm going to assume that line 2 is properly connected to your phone jack, since your house is only 2 years old. Get a splitter from Radio Shack that splits one wall jack into line one and line 2. Do this at the scouts end as well as the hub.
This way, you are utilizing line 2 which should be "clean" of any phone voltages.

Wayne
if i did this wouldn't i lose the dial tone for landline use while im waiting for the port to finish?