Do I need a splitter for the Ethernet cable?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
OomaKid
Do I need a splitter for the Ethernet cable?

Post by OomaKid » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 am

I have an Ooma Telo that I'm setting up downstairs from my computer, so I bought two homeplugs to take advantage of the internal wiring in my house.

I followed the online directions on how to connect everything, but there is no indication how I can connect my upstairs homeplug to my integrated cable modem/router to my computer. My integrated cable modem/router accepts the Ethernet cable coming from the homeplug, of course, but there is no way to then connect the modem back to my computer.

Do I need an Ethernet cable splitter to make this happen? If so, will this degrade my internet speed in any way?

Thanks in advance!
Nick

Davesworld

Re: Do I need a splitter for the Ethernet cable?

Post by Davesworld » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:19 am

Just get a small ethernet switch or better yet, run the cable modem to a router/firewall and then everything else connects to the lan side of the firewall/router including the telo, you can always add switches at any point in the home where more than one device is connected. This is much more future proof as you will find more and more non pc devices that can use an internet connection, new dvd/bluray players, newer TV's, even refridgerators. You can easily connect 254 devices using the 192.168.x.x class address range. Convergence is no longer just an idea, it's here very strong now.