Oooma Hub security problem?!

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Lemo
Oooma Hub security problem?!

Post by Lemo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:19 pm

I located the OOMA hub right after the cable modem. At that point it is exposed to the cable modem subnet/internet. The original router is connected to the 'home' segment. The OOMA hub receives the WAN IP from the cable provider, and the home router the 172.bla.bla from the OOMA device.

That enables the OOMA device to maintain great voice quality regardless what the home router tries to do to sabotage that.

Now I have not found a way to password protect the ooma device config screen. The entire internet has access to my ooma voice config.

How can I password protect the ooma device before hordes of pranksters are scanning the net just to band my config into oblivion?

And how can I config the OOMA device that it is not using port 80 to access the maintenance screen. It is blocking my own web server.

Thanks in advance for the hints.

In case all that is not possible, then I have to move it behind the router and loose all the cool bandwidth regulation features.

Cheers
Lemo

murphy

Re: Oooma Hub security problem?!

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Did you try this from an outside computer? You can't do it from inside your network because it will detect the loopback and allow the connection. I get no response to a request to connect via http from the outside world. I do get a response to a ping which I would like to be able to disable. I can connect to my router's admin page through the ooma hub because I forwarded the port that I use for that connection.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

atici

Post by atici » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:04 pm

It is not exposed. You can only configure ooma through a line connected to the home port.

I suggest you move ooma behind router anyway especially if it can prioritize traffic. ooma can do this for you if it's the first in the chain but it doesn't do a good job. Most people on forums complain their bandwidth are severely limited during a call.

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:55 pm

QoS may require some adjustment to resolve any upstream bandwidth slowness issues when you're on a call. By default, QoS will "throttle" the upstream bandwidth to 384 Kbps when you're on a call.

This article explains how to adjust the upstream bandwidth setting:

Article Link

Normally this doesn't affect streaming video and web browsing because QoS in the downstream direction is disabled by default.
atici wrote:It is not exposed. You can only configure ooma through a line connected to the home port.

I suggest you move ooma behind router anyway especially if it can prioritize traffic. ooma can do this for you if it's the first in the chain but it doesn't do a good job. Most people on forums complain their bandwidth are severely limited during a call.