setting ooma on DMZ - how to?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dknyinva
Re: setting ooma on DMZ - how to?

Post by dknyinva » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:27 am

Ooma is definitely blocking my inbound traffic (i.e. secure web server, utorrent, etc...). Putting ooma infront of my router, all my traffic from the Internet to my LAN is blocked. Only option is to put it in the DMZ and I'm not sure how to do that. Here is my setup

current setup w/working ooma

modem <--ooma <--router <--switch <--LAPTOP/PC

setup that ooma does not like

modem <--router <-- switch <-- ooma

My router has 3 interfaces (3 NICs - WAN, LAN, and DMZ). The DMZ interface is not being used, so I would like to put ooma on that interface if possible and hoping someone could instructions on the how to.

Thanks in advance

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:02 am

The first advice received should work. Here are a few things to look at though. Verify your public IP via the status tab in Ooma hub setup. This is what your ISP is providing and what you will use from outside your LAN to connect to your web server. You may need to update whoever is hosting your domain name if you have one. Connect a computer (with wireless turned off) to the Ooma HOME port and make sure you can get online. Go to START-RUN-type CMD-then hit ENTER, type IPCONFIG /ALL- then hit ENTER. Look for the IP you put in DMZ in the data this command produces, should be there. Next plug your router into the home port and PC into the router. In your router setup, configure the WAN source IP with the static DMZ IP provided by the Ooma hub. The router setup should give you some indication of a connection, like check for firmware upgrade or something like that. Leave all port forwarding rules and DHCP pool the same as it was. If you attempt to go to your public IP or domain name from within your LAN it will take you to the Ooma hub setup. Do not be alarmed, it doesn't happen from outside your LAN. To connect to your server from inside your LAN you will need to use the static IP that your router forwards traffic to inside your LAN. Connecting from outside your LAN is business as usual. I run a web server and Exchange server from behind the hub without any problems. Be sure to set the QOS in the hub or Ooma will suck up all your bandwidth when on a call.
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image

dknyinva

Post by dknyinva » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:22 am

Thanks for replying,

My public IP is correctly showing up in the ooma setup status page as connected. I'm using a domain name to connect from the Internet and it is update with the correct IP.

My router has three NICs (WAN, LAN and unused). It also support DMZ configuration, just wondering why I can't connect the unused NIC to the ooma and configure for DMZ?

I'll try your suggestion and report back.

Thanks

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:27 am

You can connect the Ooma hub to the output of your router just like another PC as long as your internet connection can support it. I have 30mb down and 3mb up but still choose to have Ooma first in line.
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image

dknyinva

Post by dknyinva » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:59 am

AngelaKendig wrote:You can connect the Ooma hub to the output of your router just like another PC as long as your internet connection can support it. I have 30mb down and 3mb up but still choose to have Ooma first in line.
I rather go that route, because I have kind of complex router setup with port forward and firewall rule setup. What IP should I be assigning to the ooma device or should I be using the default IP 172.27.35.x?

Thanks

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:40 pm

dknyinva wrote:
AngelaKendig wrote:You can connect the Ooma hub to the output of your router just like another PC as long as your internet connection can support it. I have 30mb down and 3mb up but still choose to have Ooma first in line.
I rather go that route, because I have kind of complex router setup with port forward and firewall rule setup. What IP should I be assigning to the ooma device or should I be using the default IP 172.27.35.x?

Thanks
No need to assign. It will pickup DHCP. 172.X.X.X is what it assigns to itself as well as doles out downhill from the home port. Should you ever need to get into the setup just connect a PC to the home port and browse to setup.ooma.com.

dknyinva

Post by dknyinva » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:29 pm

AngelaKendig wrote:
dknyinva wrote:

Thanks
No need to assign. It will pickup DHCP. 172.X.X.X is what it assigns to itself as well as doles out downhill from the home port. Should you ever need to get into the setup just connect a PC to the home port and browse to setup.ooma.com.
My current ooma settings are as followed:

Network Settings/Network Connection - Automatice

Advanced Settings
  • Home Port - 172.27.35.1/24
    DHCP Configuration - 172.27.35.10 - 172.27.35.20
    DMZ - ?
Should I leave the above ooma settings alone? What IP address of the ooma should I use to enter into my router DMZ settings? (please see attached)

Thanks

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Do you assign static IP's to all your PC's? The Ooma hub will just grab an IP via DHCP. It doesn't care if it's straight from your modem or from your router. The status tab on the hub will show you the IP it pulled from your router. Set the DHCP in the hub setup to 1 IP. 172.XXX.XXX.10-172.XXX.XXX.10. Set DMZ in hub to same IP. This way you can have a PC connected to the home port on the hub and it should have full internet capabilities.

dknyinva

Post by dknyinva » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:40 pm

AngelaKendig wrote:Set the DHCP in the hub setup to 1 IP. 172.XXX.XXX.10-172.XXX.XXX.10. Set DMZ in hub to same IP.
Thank You, I've already tried that. If you look at my previous post with an attached image showing your suggestion. Please look at this thread (the last two posts) http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=206 and let us know what your recommendation settings be?

Thanks again

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 am

so if you add a new pc to your lan what if anything do you do to your router setup? think of the ooma hub just like a pc. all it needs is an internet connection. maybe look at getting a different router if its that difficult.