Anyone recently port over existing AT&T landline dsl?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
shah123
Re: Anyone recently port over existing AT&T landline dsl?

Post by shah123 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:26 am

Whatever you decide to do, here is a tip: If you have cell phone service from AT&T you could associate that account with the dry loop account to waive the additional $10 that AT&T charges for changing your DSL+phone account to dryloop DSL only account.

swedrows

Post by swedrows » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:29 pm

shah123 wrote:Whatever you decide to do, here is a tip: If you have cell phone service from AT&T you could associate that account with the dry loop account to waive the additional $10 that AT&T charges for changing your DSL+phone account to dryloop DSL only account.
how do you go about associated the dryloop dsl with your cellphone? i do have at&T for my cellphone provider but i thought the dryloop dsl was charged the added $10 because you still need to use the phone line that AT&T provides to get the dryloop dsl.

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:40 pm

swedrows wrote:
shah123 wrote:Whatever you decide to do, here is a tip: If you have cell phone service from AT&T you could associate that account with the dry loop account to waive the additional $10 that AT&T charges for changing your DSL+phone account to dryloop DSL only account.
how do you go about associated the dryloop dsl with your cellphone? i do have at&T for my cellphone provider but i thought the dryloop dsl was charged the added $10 because you still need to use the phone line that AT&T provides to get the dryloop dsl.
It calls combine billing or some thing similar, i.e. all in one monthly statement.
What are you paying right now compare to the prices in this att web site:
ATT Direct DSL
tommies

swedrows

Post by swedrows » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:48 am

Just a quick status update on my porting process. As of this morning (3/9/10), my landline went officially dead. today is the day my port is supposed to happen (according to Ooma e-mail confirmation for exact port date), so hopefully by the end of the day, I will have my number ported over to Ooma.

I made sure to order my dryloop DSL to be active the same day as my number port, so we'll see how that goes.

It's kind of nerve-racking to call my home phone, and get a message that the number has been disconnected. Hopefully we'll be up and running by the end of the day. If everything goes well, my dryloop dsl should be activated today from AT&T, and Ooma will successfully have ported my existing (now dead) phone number. I'll provide another update probably at the end of today if it is working, or tomorrow.

ktinca

Post by ktinca » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 am

My port is to be today also. I only have AT&T landline, no DSL. This my morning, calling my number gives a "this number has been disconnected" message.

Update:
10:40am, rec'd Ooma e-mail indicating account change. Login is now using my ported number.
1:00pm, rec'd Ooma e-mail letting me know port is completed and to reboot Ooma device.
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010

swedrows

Post by swedrows » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Well, my porting process is done and it went super smooth! no scary stories or problems like others on here that tried to tell me to call AT&T and separate my dsl and phone ahead of time. I am glad it is done with because I was a bit nervous something would go wrong. Anyway, if anyone is wondering what the BEST way to port your number from an AT&T dsl/phone combined line is, here were my steps:

1. Requested number port through Ooma
2. Waited for e-mail from Ooma to confirm exact date of port
3. Went online to AT&T and signed up for Dryloop DSL service....chose same activation date as port date (all online)
4. THAT'S IT!!!

this is the best way to do it, because once your number is ported, AT&T AUTOMATICALLY stops your old dsl service, along with your landline phone since they were on the same account. on the same day, your dryloop dsl should get activated. for me, i got a call at about noon from the AT&T technician saying he was going to be at my house to install the dryloop, and all he needed was the outside access to the phonebox. that's it!

some people say you should contact AT&T to try to separate your dsl from phone service before the port, but that is NOT the way to do it. there is no reason to talk to anyone at AT&T for this whole process. simply go online to the AT&T website, and browse the DSL section and find the dryloop service...add it to your cart, checkout out, and it lets you even pick the exact day you want your dryloop dsl activated. obviously, you should choose the same day as your confirmed number porting takes place. now sit back, wait for your port date, and you are done!

it can't get any easier than the above steps. do not call AT&T because they are a business that wants to make money. they will try to make you jump through hoops to separate your dsl from phone, or they will try to sell you u-verse or something else...and if you decline, more than likely, they will start dragging their feet. avoid the hassle, go online to order your drylopp dsl service, don't cancel your regular dsl because it will simply get cancelled automatically once your number is ported! good luck to all!

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 pm

swedrows wrote:Well, my porting process is done and it went super smooth! no scary stories or problems like others on here that tried to tell me to call AT&T and separate my dsl and phone ahead of time. I am glad it is done with because I was a bit nervous something would go wrong. Anyway, if anyone is wondering what the BEST way to port your number from an AT&T dsl/phone combined line is, here were my steps:

1. Requested number port through Ooma
2. Waited for e-mail from Ooma to confirm exact date of port
3. Went online to AT&T and signed up for Dryloop DSL service....chose same activation date as port date (all online)
4. THAT'S IT!!!

this is the best way to do it, because once your number is ported, AT&T AUTOMATICALLY stops your old dsl service, along with your landline phone since they were on the same account.
Good for you. You didn't mention that you had to lie to Ooma to do this. ;)

I hope the Ooma folks read this and change the advice on their site. Their recommendation is crystal clear that you shouldn't port a number away from your DSL Internet provider until you SEPARATE the two services with that provider. In fact, when I did my port you couldn't even initiate a port from your DSL provider on my.ooma.com until you agree that you have done this.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

swedrows

Post by swedrows » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:53 am

DTMF wrote:Good for you. You didn't mention that you had to lie to Ooma to do this. ;)

I hope the Ooma folks read this and change the advice on their site. Their recommendation is crystal clear that you shouldn't port a number away from your DSL Internet provider until you SEPARATE the two services with that provider. In fact, when I did my port you couldn't even initiate a port from your DSL provider on my.ooma.com until you agree that you have done this.
you said I lied to Ooma, but let me ask you this....didn't Ooma lie to all of us FIRST by stating you HAVE to separate your phone and dsl service before you are able to port your number? in order for Ooma to work, you do need a broadband connection, but porting your number only requires an active phone number, so Ooma is basically trying to tell everyone that if you don't separate the lines, porting your number will not work...this is a blatant lie, or a "blurry" truth, depending on how you want to look at it ;)

it is unfortunate that Ooma does not make it honestly clear that there are 2 options to successfully port your number. they make it seem that if you don't separate your lines, then the port will not go through. that "blurry" truth makes it a hassle for many once they contact their phone provider and inform them they need to separate services because they are going to be cancelling their phone service....phone companies do not like losing paying customers, so they make you jump through hoops to get things done in a timely manner once you make it clear that you will not be keeping them as your phone service.

i really feel Ooma needs to change their required "i agree" statement because it is causing alot of headaches for those that do not understand how porting works. i was lucky because someone on here ported while they had combined phone/dsl service, and provided the easy 1-2-3 steps on this forum, so my port went super smooth, as well as my dryloop dsl activation....for those that follow the steps that Ooma "requires", they have a much bumpier road ahead.

one last note, Ooma also doesn't list in any of their setup guides or installation manuals that you can place your Ooma device AFTER your modem and router. they only say you need to place it between your modem and router to work...once again, a "blurry" truth...why not show all the options, and then let everyone decide which method is best?? what is wrong with telling people that it is possible to connect your Ooma device to one of the empty ports on your router and it will work??

Ooma, please please please update some of your policies and information that is provided on setting up your Ooma device. Simply plug it into your router and you are done...if you think you are not getting the best call quality, then you have the second option of placing your device between the modem and router......is that information so difficult to provide in your installation instruction manual???

rodak

Post by rodak » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks for all the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. One thing I'll note is that if you go to ATTs website, you won't find anything about "dry loop" DSL - they call it "DSL Direct".

Now, I do have a question I haven't seen an answer to anywhere: If I decide to take Ooma's recommendation and separate my DSL from my phone#, does switching to dry loop accomplish both things? It sort of worries me that if I do it ahead of time, I'll wind up with DSL-only and no local phone service.

Anyone know the answer to that?

rodak

Post by rodak » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:52 am

I may have been mistaken about DSL-Direct. I went through the steps to order, to see what would happen. First it showed me DSL Direct for $37.95, I checked that, then on the next screen there was a choice to add local phone service, so I figured "aha, that's how I makes sure I don't lose my local phone"! Bu when I checked that, the next screen showed me with the same DSL Ultra I have right now, at the same price (actually, less - $24.95 vs $32.95 - Man, I hate when they lower prices and don't tell you! - curse you, AT&T!!!).

So now I'm still confused - How would I "separate" my DSL from my phone service? It appears as though buying the DSL-Direct ONLY, would effectively eliminate my phone service.

I wish I could get dslextreme where I'm at, but they don't offer it.