Dial Tone through out home

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
heymon
Re: Dial Tone through out home

Post by heymon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:02 pm

lbmofo wrote:If the cable phone device used to distirbute dialtone throughout your house, your ooma device should replace that cable phone device without you having to change any of your home wiring. Just connect ooma's home port to whichever wall jack your cable phone device was feeding the dialtone to.
My cable-company phone service did not have a device inside my house but came into my house from one of the boxes outside my house pictured above. I think I still need to cut or disconnect something from one of those two outside boxes but don't know which wires to cut/disconnect outside.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:40 pm

I don't know enough to recognize your setup. May have to wait until an expert chimes in.

What bunch is going into the house? Is is "C?" If you are sure it is "C" then, just diconnect all the wires from whatever they are tied to, cut the copper leads and you'd be done.

heymon

Post by heymon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:08 pm

lbmofo wrote:I don't know enough to recognize your setup. May have to wait until an expert chimes in.

What bunch is going into the house? Is is "C?" If you are sure it is "C" then, just diconnect all the wires from whatever they are tied to, cut the copper leads and you'd be done.
I don't think it's 'C'. 'C' runs down and over from one box to 'K' in the other picture. 'K' and some other wires from the 2nd box connect to 'L' which appears to be going into my house, but it's hard to tell w/o taking the NIB off of the house (seems to run into a horizontal oval hole in the NIB below point 'I', this hole looks like it routes wire 'L' behind the NIB (and possibly into my house).

I had to open this thread in two windows to see the pics and type the reply :cry:

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:35 am

Is it only 1 wire bunch going into the house? It is kind of hard to tell. But once you know what is going into the house, just need to make a clean break (disconnect the wires from everything that they are connected to; if 2 wire bunches are going into the house and they are daisy chained somewhere, need to keep the daisy chain intact using splice connectors).

topmeat69

Post by topmeat69 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 am

With the Hub, Why does the manual say that a "Scout" must be used for EACH additional phone, instead of just a $3.00 Y splitter or simply run phone wires to as many phones as you want in your home ? Scouts cost $69.00 each.Thanks

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 am

topmeat69 wrote:With the Hub, Why does the manual say that a "Scout" must be used for EACH additional phone, instead of just a $3.00 Y splitter or simply run phone wires to as many phones as you want in your home ? Scouts cost $69.00 each.Thanks
Scouts are only necessary if you want access to the Instant Second Line feature (Premier) or have the voice mail interface the Scout provides, otherwise splitters will work if those features are not needed.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 am

topmeat69 wrote:With the Hub, Why does the manual say that a "Scout" must be used for EACH additional phone, instead of just a $3.00 Y splitter or simply run phone wires to as many phones as you want in your home ? Scouts cost $69.00 each.Thanks
You can get new Scouts from ebay for $20 something. I think ooma just wanted to keep it simple for most consumers by having folks network through HPNA and not worry about proper dialtone distribution requiring physical disconnect at the NIB etc. Unless you want the instant second line feature, private 2nd number assigned to Scout etc, it is a nice/easy voicemail checking device to have sitting around different parts of the house. That's why I have 4 installed. I distribute dialtone + HPNA throughout the house so I can plug in a phone, dishnetwork receiver, and/or Scout to any wall jack in the house.

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:57 pm

heymon wrote:Newbie posting here ... excited to get whole-home dial-tone going. I first had phone through Qwest, then switched to phone from my cable provider (Cox). I have cable for internet. I believe the cable company added a box when they installed phone. I have the Hub setup and working with it just connected directly to one phone. The wall outlets in my house are still connected to the NIB.

I tried disconnecting at points A & B and G &H in the photos below but still got dial tone each time. Can I simply cut what looks like a phone line going from the NIB into the house? I have since cancelled my cable company's phone service so I can't do the dial-tone test anymore to ensure I 'cut the cord' properly.

thanks in advance for guidance.
It's important that you disconnect your house wiring from the telco network before feeding the ooma dial tone to the house wiring.

The left side of the NIB is property of the telco. Do not touch it, or they make you pay $$$ next time you call them. In pic 2 it's covered, and in pic 1, it's D and C (I think it has a cover too. It looks similar to mine.)

In pic 1. all you need is unplug the little jacks (A and B). If you want to cut the wires, you need to connect the two wires--which are connected to the left 2 terminators color coded green--together; and do the same for the two wires to the right--color coded red.

In pic 2, these modules are newer, and I have not seen them before. However, the basic is the same as above. If you want to be sure, just post a pic. when the modules are opened and the wires exposed.

For better result, I recommend to cut the wires and connect them using the splices you see pictured in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7579&p=53391

PS.
Dual Phone Line Tester can be very helpful. You can buy it at local hardware store for around $10 or less.
tommies

heymon

Post by heymon » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:28 am

tommies wrote: In pic 2, these modules are newer, and I have not seen them before. However, the basic is the same as above. If you want to be sure, just post a pic. when the modules are opened and the wires exposed.

For better result, I recommend to cut the wires and connect them using the splices you see pictured in this thread
Here's another shot of the newer NIB (2nd pic in my original post). I completely cut the wires from the NIBs (original pics) going to wire bundle (point '1' in this pic). At point '2' in this pic is where it looks like the wire goes behind the NIB and into the house (guess). Do I need to connect any of the wires at point '1' together?
Attachments
DSC01876.JPG
2nd shot of newer NIB
DSC01876.JPG (111.5KiB)Viewed 6168 times

tommies

Post by tommies » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:53 pm

No, you don't need to do any thing.

There is only one bunch of wires (probably a CAT5 cable). The wires have been cut clean, so you're good. FYI, the little jack at 3 & 4 in this newer pic. and at A & B in pic. 1 are called 'test jack.' This is the divide point between the telco. responsibility and the house owner responsibility.

Now you can try to feed the ooma dial tone to one of the wall jack and see if it works.
tommies