Unable to use xlink with "wall" connection

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
chiguypaul
Unable to use xlink with "wall" connection

Post by chiguypaul » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 pm

My new Ooma is up and running. I'm trying to connect my xlink (http://www.myxlink.com) to my "wall" connection on the Ooma. Without Ooma the xlink works like this... you plug the landline from the wall to the xlink. You then connect the xlink to a cordless phone system. The xlink connect with a cell phone over bluetooth. Using this connection, when you pick up your cordless phone you type "1" "flash". This tells the xlink to use your cell phone to make the call.

When I use the Ooma with the Xlink and I hit "1" "flash" to use the xlink, the Ooma thinks I'm hanging up and picking up again. Any suggestions? I know many will not be familiar with the xlink.

Thanks a lot

lbmofo

Re: Unable to use xlink with "wall" connection

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Try connecting your xlink device to the "phone" port of ooma.

chiguypaul

Post by chiguypaul » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I plugged the cordless phone system in to the xlink, the xlink into the Ooma Phone port. All works great!

Thanks again.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:26 pm

You are welcome and welcome to this forum.

If you are interested in distributing dialtone throughout the house, this is a good thread to read up. Among other things, you'll see that ooma's "phone" port puts out dialtone and if a Hub, "wall" port puts out HPNA signal so that the Hub can communicate with the Scout.

chiguypaul

Post by chiguypaul » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:42 pm

The cordless phone system attached to the xlink has 5 phones as part of the core base so I'm going to stick with that setup.

I do have one outstanding issue that you might be able to help with.

My building's security system is patched directly to the phone line that runs to our unit. Even if the line is dry from ATT the security system can still generate a ring tone on the phone line.

If I attached the cable from the phone line in to the Wall port on the Telo what exactly happens? Will an incoming call from the Wall port ring my cordless phone system like an incoming Ooma call? What happens if I'm already on a Telo call when it comes in.

Thanks,
Paul

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Telo's "wall" port is only used for landline integration; if you are not in landline integration mode, don't connect the "wall" port to the phone jack in the wall. If you are not in landline integration mode, all calls are going through internet so that "wall" port has no use. I don't think a live phone jack will damage your Telo even if you were to connect it to the "wall" port. I am not 100% sure but I don't think it will affect your Telo's operation as far as calls going through internet only.

Do you have a live phone jack on your wall (landline)? When you plug your phone into your wall, can you dial out through the landline? What's your phone line got to do with your building's alarm system? They should be using different phone lines right?

chiguypaul

Post by chiguypaul » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:39 pm

lbmofo wrote:Telo's "wall" port is only used for landline integration; if you are not in landline integration mode, don't connect the "wall" port to the phone jack in the wall. If you are not in landline integration mode, all calls are going through internet so that "wall" port has no use. I don't think a live phone jack will damage your Telo even if you were to connect it to the "wall" port. I am not 100% sure but I don't think it will affect your Telo's operation as far as calls going through internet only.

Do you have a live phone jack on your wall (landline)? When you plug your phone into your wall, can you dial out through the landline? What's your phone line got to do with your building's alarm system? They should be using different phone lines right?
I don't know how to know if I'm in "landline integration" mode. The phone jack is not live with ATT tone. It is a dry line. The security system piggy backs on the wiring regardless of it there's service on the line. Most security systems are programmed with a phone number to call. This one does not work that way and is hardwired to the cable pair that runs to my unit.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Okay so the phone jack in your wall is dead. That means you are running your ooma in regular mode; all calls going through internet. So, nothing should be connected to the "wall" port of your Telo.

Now, If your building's alarm still works, then you shouldn't have any more worries.

chiguypaul

Post by chiguypaul » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 pm

lbmofo wrote:Okay so the phone jack in your wall is dead. That means you are running your ooma in regular mode; all calls going through internet. So, nothing should be connected to the "wall" port of your Telo.

Now, If your building's alarm still works, then you shouldn't have any more worries.
But I'd like to have the security system that ties in to my wall jack ring through to my cordless phones that are attached to the Ooma via the xlink (see above). I'd like to avoid purchasing a separate cordless system just for the security system.

If I connect the wall cable to the wall port. I'm not sure what will happen... If I plug the cable from the wall jack to the "wall" port on the Telo will it ring through to the cordless phones?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Is your alarm system programmed to call your landline number that you used to have?

If your ooma number is different, then just program the alarm to call your ooma number?

If that's not it, I am not understanding how your old setup used to work with your building's alarm.