Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo
Re: Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 01, 2010 12:32 pm

I couldn't find installation manual for this panel anywhere online.

But for the phone portion, it seems to just distribute 4 telephone lines to 8 locations via RJ45 connectors. It seems you only have 7 locations with working jack since 1 port is not plugged in?

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sat May 01, 2010 12:46 pm

That's correct. I am making the assumption that the two yellow lines are for my data cabling which is in my family room and the other five are for the regular phone jacks in my house which is correct. So the question is how to distribute a signal to all these lines. The person I spoke to mentioned switching one from in to out or vice versa, but the box is not labeled with in or out. I might just have to call Honeywell to figure this out.

nebebo

Post by nebebo » Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 am

On the back of your tello there are 2 phone jack ports, I know this might seem odd but I did have the same problem with mine when I first hooked mine up. You need to hook the line into the port that is marked phone. If you plug it into the one marked wall then it wont work. I believe that one is if you want to have it intigrated with another phone companys line.
Try that and see if it helps.

nebebo

Post by nebebo » Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 am

On the back of your tello there are 2 phone jack ports, I know this might seem odd but I did have the same problem with mine when I first hooked mine up. You need to hook the line into the port that is marked phone. If you plug it into the one marked wall then it wont work. I believe that one is if you want to have it intigrated with another phone companys line.
Try that and see if it helps.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sun May 02, 2010 12:44 pm

I have never used the port marked wall. I have been using the port marked phone the whole time.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sun May 02, 2010 3:15 pm

I did some further investigation. I wanted to see what was on the other side of the panel where all the phones jacks were plugged into in this panel. The other side was a circuit board with a "plug" that had lots of little wires like the ones I found in the box outside of my house. The colors were brownish red, green, orange and blue. I am assuming this is the input for all of the 7 lines on this box.

What don't understand is if I am no longer getting service from my original phone provided which I was assuming why I have the box outside my house, why would I need to have all the wires reconnected to make the jacks work. I can do that, but I am wondering if that is truly going to solve the problem and how does this Smart Box work with that outside box.

I know all of these questions may seem pretty silly, but I am just wondering how all of this logically works.

I sure hope if I reconnect everything that my lines will finally work.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sun May 02, 2010 4:08 pm

OK, I went outside and reconnected the solid blue lines to the red screw and the striped blue to the green screw. Still no distributed dial tone. When I checked the plugs in my box in the basement, each plug contained each color of wire. Does that mean I need to connect the brownish red, green and orange as well? Do I put all the solid colors on the same red screw and all the striped on the same green screw? Inside my box outside there is a section for connecting the wires with no label, one that says data and another that says voice. I connected the wires in the area that was labeled voice. So now I just need to figure out what I need to do next.

Sad to say that I have also called all over to have someone help me with this and no one has indicated that they can which is why I am still working this on my own. I guess the only other option may end up being that I will not be able to use my wall jacks, nor the phone features that come with my DIRECTV and have to buy extension cordless phones to use throughout my house.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun May 02, 2010 4:33 pm

kayembee, sounds like you have one of these "DSL" boxes in addition to a Telephone NIB outside your house just like bayareakirk.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6853&start=60#p54417

If you do, please take a pic or more and post here. I am thinking since you have the Honeywell distribution box inside the house, you only have 1 wire bunch coming into the house.

If you connected wires to the screw terminals inside your Telephone NIB, that's not advised since you are now reconnected with the phone company; this may damage your ooma device.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sun May 02, 2010 5:05 pm

OK, I am totally confused now because some people told me to reconnect the wires others have told me not to. Not sure what I need to do. Yes, I used to have a DSL system but I switched to cable modem when I went to the Ooma. My box doesn't look like the one you mentioned. It is like the ones that have showing up on the site. Initially I told the phone company I was going to use standalone DSL. Someone came out and did something to my outside box but then I decided to use cable modem and drop all the services provide by my phone carrier including the DSL. So I am not sure if all of this is affecting my distribution or not. Just know I have had no luck to date.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun May 02, 2010 6:54 pm

I feel like we are going in circles. LOL

The best thing to do is to put up a pic of your outside NIB box. I thought you mentioned "data" & "voice" so I thought you had a DSL box just like bayareakirk.

But anyhow, if you post a pic of your NIB, someone from here can help.