Distributing Dial Tone stopped working

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
SLOoma
Re: Distributing Dial Tone stopped working

Post by SLOoma » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Yea, it does seem like a phone is off the hook, but I have no other phones connected. If the telo is not connected to the wall jack, I get no sound when a phone is connected to a jack.

When I try to connect telo to a wall jack and first pick up a phone wired to a jack, I get what sounds like a regular (not ooma) dial tone. As soon as I hit a number, I get the busy signal sound from that point on.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:07 pm

The regular dialtone part is weird. You should get ooma dialtone. In case your problem is the same as the one in this thread here, someone else had this busy problem and fixed it.

SLOoma

Post by SLOoma » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:16 pm

I did see that post and tried unsetting and resetting that option prior to starting this thread. Thanks though.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:04 pm

When you connect wired phone directly to ooma device and then dial, would you get busy signal?

SLOoma

Post by SLOoma » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:26 am

No, when a phone is connected directly to ooma, I get the ooma dial tone and the phone works fine.

When ooma is connected to the wall jack and the same wired phone is connected to a different wall jack, I get the dial tone like sound. It think it is actually higher pitched then a standard dial tone. The first number pressed results in the busy signal, and it remains that way until I disconnect ooma from the wall.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 am

If the dialtone from the wall is not the same sound as the signature ooma dialtone, then, something is wrong. Maybe your landline is still connected. But, you said that if you don't feedback dialtone from ooma to wall, you hear dead silence from the wall so I am puzzled.

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:31 am

My short answer to this is you probably need to go back to your NIB and verify that the plugs that you unplugged are STILL unplugged and that between number port and cut-over a telco tech (or someone else) didn't reconnect them.

The above response is made with my assuming that you don't have DSL (dry loop etc) coming in to your house that you neglected to mention; that you only had a single line phone service and that you don't have some kind of smart-phone/pbx or other equipment that you haven't mentioned between your Telo and the NIB setup in your basement because if you are hearing a standard dialtone then you are still connected to the landline phone network which is probably STILL active to allow for 911 calls.
Own: 1 Hub, 1 Scout ... "Common Sense Information Technology" is the focus of http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/

SLOoma

Post by SLOoma » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:17 am

Yes, I did re-verify that the NIB phone module plugs are still unplugged. I have cable internet, no DSL. I previously had two phone lines (one for a fax machine), but stopped service on the second one some time ago. Would that change anything. No pbx or other special equipment.

I don't think that the dialtone that I am hearing from the other wall jacks when the Telo is connected to a wall jack is not quite the same as the previous landline phone - somewhat higher pitched and louder.

When I get home I will try plugging the Telo into a different phone jack. Maybe the current jack that it is using is the issue - grasping at straws now...

Thanks all for the interest and support. I appreciate it.

SLOoma

Post by SLOoma » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm

OK, there is one thing I modified in the overall setup after it was initially working, but it was still working after I made this change, so I did not think it was important. But I just set things back to the way they were, and the Ooma dialtone throughout the house is working again. But just to prove that I was not going crazy, I then re-did the modification again, and it is still working.

Here is what is happened: There is a voice modem, installed and rented fromt Comcast. It has a cable wire going into it and a phone wire coming out. The phone wire then goes into a small box with many many small colored wires (photo of it is attached). After my landline number was ported, I set up the Telo connected to the wall jack and everything was good. I then disconnected the voice modem and everything was still good, until either later that night or the next day, where all the wall jacks resulted in a busy signal.

This evening I re-connected the modem and I got the Ooma dialtone everywhere. Once again, I then disconnected the modem, and, sure enough, still have Ooma everywhere (for now).

I really want to get rid of this Comcast modem box, but I am afraid it is just a matter of time before I lose the dialtone again.

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_4940.JPG (33.09KiB)Viewed 4133 times

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:51 pm

It looks like this box is connecting all your jacks together inside the house. Disconnecting the wire coming out of the cable modem from the screw terminals should be fine as long as you make sure other wire connections are not disturbed and stay intact.