OOMA and routers

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Lee
OOMA and routers

Post by Lee » Sun May 23, 2010 7:56 am

My Ooma has been up and running for almost 6 months now without a hitch. Everything has been perfect. Recently I've been considering setting up a Sonos or Logitech internet radio to my home entertainment system. Problem is (for me anyway) they all require a router to operate. I have seen many folks on the forum who are setting up their Ooma phones having trouble with routers - setting up before the modem, after the modem, a slowdown in internet access etc. I would hate to screw up a great phone system just to have an internet radio.

I was considering the D Link DIR 655 Extreme router which also has QoS. http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-655-Ex ... =pd_cp_e_0

Have router setups improved with the Ooma Telo's? If I set this up, what do I have to watch out for regarding the Telo, if anything? Does the router get setup according to Ooma's quick start guide?

Thanks in advance for the help

Lee

just4fn

Re: OOMA and routers

Post by just4fn » Sun May 23, 2010 8:17 am

I have the same router with the Telo and hub after the router. It works great. I have had the router for about 3 months and have had ooma over a year. Go for it.
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun May 23, 2010 9:32 am

That's the router I have too. Works fine. I have the Telo installed after the router without any trouble. I turned off QoS in the Telo and adjusted the QoS in the router to allow voice calls priority.

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Sun May 23, 2010 10:13 am

I have been using DIR-655 between Cable Modem and Ooma Telo and Hub for several months now. Works great. As Jacque said, disable QoS on Ooma devices and configure it on the 655.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun May 23, 2010 10:53 am

Fantastic. Thanks guys. Made my day as I'm really sick of the local radio stations and really did want to set up internet radio as long as it didn't screw up the phone.

Question - I never even looked at QoS on the Telo. Where do I find that and how do I turn it off? Then, is turning on voice quality on the 655 going to be obvious durning setup? I've never used a router before.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun May 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Lee wrote:Fantastic. Thanks guys. Made my day as I'm really sick of the local radio stations and really did want to set up internet radio as long as it didn't screw up the phone.

Question - I never even looked at QoS on the Telo. Where do I find that and how do I turn it off? Then, is turning on voice quality on the 655 going to be obvious durning setup? I've never used a router before.
How many devices do you need to connect? The Telo IS a router. If you just need to connect your computer and the new device, get a switch. The switch connects to the Home port of Ooma and your computer and the new device connect to the switch. Switches are much cheaper than routers.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2786
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon May 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Wow. That caught me off guard, murphy. Thanks for the heads-up. To answer your question, I would only be connecting one device - the Sonos receiver.

Here's the deal, though. I'm not sure if I can take advantage of that. I contacted support at Sonos about a week ago. They make the system to be wireless but I was trying to "hardwire" the Sonos receiver directly using the ethernet port on the back of the unit. I asked them if I could just get an ethernet switch and using it like a splitter run one line to my computer and one to the Sonos receiver thereby eliminating a router altogether. They said no. I am not very computer literate so I'll explain this as best I can remember what tech support said, murphy. Doing that would get an internet signal to the Sonos but evidently their receiver needs to have an IP address just like to computer but it can't be the same address. When you set up the router and receiver on the computer you have to assign the receiver it's own IP that you get from the router. That said, would I be able to do that with the Ooma? I wish I still had their email answer to my question but it's been deleted. They explained it much better than I just did.

Lee

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Mon May 24, 2010 1:47 pm

If Sonos can work behind a router/firewall, it can work behind Ooma.

Yes, you can assign static IP addresses to your Sonos.

If they say you need to add port forwarding rules to get it to work with a router/firewall, then you'll need to do the same in Ooma's configuration rules.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon May 24, 2010 8:57 pm

That's great, sfhub but I would not have a clue how to hook it up. Routers come with software that walks you through the setup process, setting up new IP's etc. but not the Telo. Is that easy enough for you to explain it to me? As I mentioned earlier, I'm not very computer literate and have absolutely no experience with routers, firewalls, switches etc.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 pm

I scanned through the Sonos manual really quick so i didn't really read it that closely.

http://www.sonos.com/assets/0/88/218/e6 ... 0330ff.pdf

On page 2-4 it describes a setup that will probably work for you.

On my brief scan I didn't really see a lot of firewall config information (other than for software firewalls running on your PC) which makes me think they've made it newbie-proof.

I don't know if you have the same model as in the diagram, but if so, it looks like Sonos comes with a 2 or 4-port switch built into the product.

If that is the case, you can connect Sonos to the Ooma Home port and connect your PC to Sonos. Basically take the wire that is currently connecting your PC to Ooma and plug that into Sonos instead. Then take the ethernet cable that came with Sonos and plug your PC into Sonos using it.

Your Ooma should already be configured for DHCP so likely Sonos will pick up an IP address automatically.

They don't seem to mention any port forwarding in the manual (but again I only scanned it for 2 mins) so probably nothing to do there.

After that, you should be able to follow the rest of the directions.

I would just see how it works out in that config. Test using the Sonos radio and make a call on Ooma. If the phone calls start degrading, then look into configuring the Ooma QoS settings. There are tutorials you can search for to help you with that.