Finally Got Scout Working, a Couple Install Options

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
mthomtech
Re: Finally Got Scout Working, a Couple Install Options

Post by mthomtech » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:43 am

Carl - have you tried the setup that Dennis suggested? I have hooked mine up that was with the splitter and all the hub/scout functionality works great, but I've started noticing some call quality issues. Just curious if you've had any experience with that setup yet.

Calls on my ooma end sound fine, but I've had some complaints of break-up/static on the recipients end when I use the phone attached to the scout. It doesn't seem to happen on the one attached to the hub (as far as I can tell). When I called my wife from work, I could hear the issues. I'm going to try a couple of tests when I get home to see if I can narrow it down.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

Carl

Post by Carl » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 am

My number port completed yesterday without incident. Once I disconnected the line to Qwest and made a few test calls the call quality was significantly better -> no more buzzing! Voice quality is fantastic and calls seem louder than ever.

Today I just wired my setup as Dennis suggested and it works just as he described. I get the Ooma dialtone on all my phones and can add the scout anywhere if I choose to.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:55 am

Awesome Carl! Glad it all worked out!

Wayne

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Nice Carl. My port completed this week too, without issue, and on schedule.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

empemedia

Post by empemedia » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm late jumping in here, but it's on the same topic, so I'm hoping those in the know will continue the thread.

I've had my ooma for several months now and LOVE the concept, though the reality has taken some tweaking. Just when I finally had everything working satisfactorily, I rearranged our home office setup and introduced new problems.

So, we know the Hub is working, we know the Scout is working, we know the house wiring is working, we know all the cords are working. Does anyone have any idea why the Scout works in the same room as the Hub, but not at a remote wall jack, despite the fact that the Hub can communicate to that jack, as evidenced by the ooma dial tone and ability to make outgoing calls on the primary number?

Meghan

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:37 pm

I have experienced the same issue. I have a Scout in the same room with the hub. If I connect a second Scout in another room, the second Scout will not connect.
I finally found the issue. I also have landline. When I removed the connection to landline at the telco box, hence, removed the voltage, both Scouts worked fine.
If you do not have a landline but the connection to the telco still exists, go out to the box and remove the connection to the landline. Usually involves just unpluging a phone style jack in the telco box.

Hope this is your case.

Wayne

empemedia

Post by empemedia » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:47 pm

WayneDsr, thanks for your speedy response.

While we don't have a landline connected to the ooma, we do have a landline in use. The house is wired for multiple landlines to the office, where the modem, hub, router are, but the line that's run to the rest of the house, and hence, the remote jack, isn't in use. Though, now that I think about it, it's still connected at the telco box.

I'll check the telco box connection for that unused line when there's some daylight. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll report back.

Think it makes any difference that the scout that's failing to engage is the only scout in use?

Meghan

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Yes, my 2nd Scout in the other room did connect if it was the only Scout connected, but the quality was not so good. As soon as I connected the other Scout to the hub, it disconnected.
I'm going to guess you have much larger runs than I do, I'm in a small apartment.
I beat my head against the wall on this one, I even rewired the second room with new cat 5. As soon as I disconnected the old telco from the old landline all lights lit up blue with good quality.

Hopefully this will be an easy fix for you.

Wayne

empemedia

Post by empemedia » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:18 pm

It's not a fix that would have occurred to me, so thank you for keeping an eye on this tired old thread. Here's hoping it's that simple.

I have to admit, I was drooling over Carl's setup (and pictures, too. That's just teasing). I'd give my firstborn for a "tech closet" with a patch panel and heavy-duty wiring throughout the house. Particularly as she nears adolescence.

I'll report back in the AM.

Meghan

empemedia

Post by empemedia » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Here's my followup:

I disconnected the unused line into the house, and took the old DSL filter that I discovered in the telcom box out of the equation while I was at it. And suddenly, my Scout lights up BLUE!!!

WayneDsr, thanks so much for your help. I couldn't have done it without you!

Meghan