Ooma Core on the Stanford Campus

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
michaellindahl
Ooma Core on the Stanford Campus

Post by michaellindahl » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Any idea on how to get the Ooma to operate on a college campus? It cannot have DHCP or NAT because that will mess up the entire campus network because it cannot give out IP Addresses by itself, it needs to act as a bridge. I have come to the assumption that as long as I don't use the Home port I will be fine. To connect to the Stanford Network, they require the MAC/ethernet address of the device. I have given them both the address on the back of the device and the address that I get when I connect through the Home port. This so far has not worked. The ooma currently goes through the light cycle...

Thanks!

murphy

Re: Ooma Core on the Stanford Campus

Post by murphy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:53 am

michaellindahl wrote:Any idea on how to get the Ooma to operate on a college campus? It cannot have DHCP or NAT because that will mess up the entire campus network because it cannot give out IP Addresses by itself, it needs to act as a bridge. I have come to the assumption that as long as I don't use the Home port I will be fine. To connect to the Stanford Network, they require the MAC/ethernet address of the device. I have given them both the address on the back of the device and the address that I get when I connect through the Home port. This so far has not worked. The ooma currently goes through the light cycle...

Thanks!
You need to give them the MAC address of the modem port which is 1 higher than the MAC address listed on the label.
You also need to connect a computer to the Home port and then connect to

http://setup.ooma.com

which is the setup page inside of the Ooma box.
Go to the Network page and configure it to always use the built-in MAC address.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dknyinva

Post by dknyinva » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:40 am

Keep in mind that the Ooma device require outbound ports to be opened

DNS (53), GPRS (3386), HTTPS (443), Net Data Mgmt (10000-20000), NTP (123), OpenVPN (1194), Sec. Virtual WrkSpace (3480) and Syslog (514).

If their FW is as strict as mind, then you have to setup a FW rules to allow for outbound.

Good luck

michaellindahl

Post by michaellindahl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:46 pm

murphy wrote:
michaellindahl wrote:Any idea on how to get the Ooma to operate on a college campus? It cannot have DHCP or NAT because that will mess up the entire campus network because it cannot give out IP Addresses by itself, it needs to act as a bridge. I have come to the assumption that as long as I don't use the Home port I will be fine. To connect to the Stanford Network, they require the MAC/ethernet address of the device. I have given them both the address on the back of the device and the address that I get when I connect through the Home port. This so far has not worked. The ooma currently goes through the light cycle...

Thanks!
You need to give them the MAC address of the modem port which is 1 higher than the MAC address listed on the label.
You also need to connect a computer to the Home port and then connect to

http://setup.ooma.com

which is the setup page inside of the Ooma box.
Go to the Network page and configure it to always use the built-in MAC address.
...de is listed on the back I also gave them ...df
Is that good?

michaellindahl

Post by michaellindahl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:47 pm

dknyinva wrote:Keep in mind that the Ooma device require outbound ports to be opened

DNS (53), GPRS (3386), HTTPS (443), Net Data Mgmt (10000-20000), NTP (123), OpenVPN (1194), Sec. Virtual WrkSpace (3480) and Syslog (514).

If their FW is as strict as mind, then you have to setup a FW rules to allow for outbound.

Good luck
I have it set as Open - Allows all incoming traffic, providing no protection. If you are running a service not listed above which requires connections initiated from the outside, choose this setting. This increases your exposure, but if your computer is fully patched, running a software firewall, and has good passwords, you should be safe.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:04 am

Ah, I used to be a RCC a some years ago. The MODEM port is set to use DHCP by default. Is the Hub getting an IP address off the MODEM port from the Stanford network? You can check this by going to the setup.ooma.com page and clicking on "Status". Next to "MODEM:", you should see something like "Connected : [<ip address>]"

If it's not, you'll need to contact your RCC or rescomp to re-check that the correct mac address appears in the NetDB.
Bobby B

twinkle

Post by twinkle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:51 pm

By any chance, OP make the OOMA works on the Stanford Campus?
I already purchased my second OOMA hub for my son, he will be attending Stanford this fall, I am hoping to get lucky without going thru lots of troubleshooting work.
If there is any tip to make it work, please post it here. Otherwise, I'll be busy troubleshooting OOMA and network coming this fall.

thanks
bob

randybonnette

Post by randybonnette » Wed May 13, 2020 3:28 am

twinkle wrote:
I already purchased my second OOMA hub for Stanford, he will be attending Stanford this fall ...
<>
Highlighted quote is shortened
<>

pimion
Hi Bob, my son is returning to Stanford after a gap year, so is it wise getting the Ooma system right now? Could he take it back home for the holidays later? Thanks.