Ooma Hub or Comcast Voice Modem First?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
samsmith
Ooma Hub or Comcast Voice Modem First?

Post by samsmith » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:56 pm

I have been using Ooma for one year and have been very happy. Our Comcast cable channels bill shot way up, it is now cheaper to get their VOIP solution with cable channels and internet service than just cable channels and internet service. I will be using the Comcast VOIP strictly in my home office as my office number, it will not go all over the house.

I have yet to sign-up for the service so I don't have the "Comcast voice modem." I think they call it that.

1. What order should the devices be hooked up? (Does Ooma hub follow comcast voice modem?)
2. Does the comcast voice modem replace my existing modem?
3. Have people run into any issues running both? (It looks like a lot of people run both while they are testing ooma out.)

Thanks so much for your help.

dtalwar

Re: Ooma Hub or Comcast Voice Modem First?

Post by dtalwar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 pm

samsmith wrote:1. What order should the devices be hooked up? (Does Ooma hub follow comcast voice modem?)
My personal preference is Comcast Modem -> My Router -> Ooma and other devices.
samsmith wrote:2. Does the comcast voice modem replace my existing modem?
Depending on your area and what you already have, they may give you a modem that has voice capability (MTA) or they may put a splitter in line and give you two devices (cable modem + cable modem with voice).
samsmith wrote:3. Have people run into any issues running both? (It looks like a lot of people run both while they are testing ooma out.)
I run both and no issues whatsoever.

Hope this helps.