Cable Modem and Phone Jack Nowhere near each other

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bw1
Re: Cable Modem and Phone Jack Nowhere near each other

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:39 am

christyb wrote:
atici wrote:Why does the question remain? Just get a DECT phone and place your ooma next to your cable modem and distribute the handsets where you need them. I think r2g's house / walls / phone type is the issue. I have this setup and it works very well. Granted, it wouldn't work multiple floors away but to give you an idea of coverage, I have the handset work in an adjacent (but different) apartment building about 150 yards away where my aunt lives.

r2g: Did you try DECT phones? The wireless jack you point out is not using DECT technology. DECT phones operate at 1.9Ghz which can permeate through walls quite well. They are also digital which extends its range even more.
At least one of the DECT phones needs to be plugged into the phone jack correct?

That phone then needs to be plugged in to the Ooma, correct?
Like all cordless phones the base station needs to be plugged into a phone jack that supplies dial tone. That phone jack is normally the phone jack on the wall in your house that's connected to the phone company.

On the back of the ooma hub is a port marked "Phone" which acts like a phone jack and supplies dial tone.

So you only need to plug the base station of the cordless phone into the ooma hub. There is no need to plug the cordless phone or the ooma hub into a phone jack.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 am

christyb wrote:The other source of confusion is that Ooma's online info refers to this problem and states that a "HomePlug" will solve it.

However, nothing in Ooma's online info states what a HomePlug is and it seems that there are conflicting views as to what this is (some have said it is a wireless jack while others state that a wireless jack won't work...).
You're correct. Ooma has info in their documentation that refers to a Homeplug and says to go online and I can't find any more information on the ooma website about the homeplug.

However, based on what I've read and my understanding of what you want to do, you could use this:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powerli ... E102G.aspx

This kit comes with 2 XE102 adapters.
Plug one into the electrical wall outlet in the room where your cable modem/router is and plug the other into the electrical wall outlet where you want to setup your ooma hub.

Connect an ethernet cable from the first adapter to your router and then connect another ethernet cable from the 2nd adapter to the ooma hub.

There's a diagram on the site I linked above.

atici

Post by atici » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 am

christyb wrote: At least one of the DECT phones needs to be plugged into the phone jack correct?

That phone then needs to be plugged in to the Ooma, correct?
Do you have other basic landline service from AT&T etc or do you use ooma standalone? If you don't use other landline service then you don't need any phone jacks etc in your house. You just connect DECT base station to ooma's RJ11 female out over which says "Phone" .

Also as bw1 said you can use ethernet over powerline. Those things cost as much as a DECT phone. And the likelihood of that not working is even more (what if your power lines between rooms have filters or not directly connected). You need to connect ooma to a phone anyway so you can as well get a decent phone.

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:41 am

atici wrote:Like all cordless phones the base station needs to be plugged into a phone jack that supplies dial tone. That phone jack is normally the phone jack on the wall in your house that's connected to the phone company.

On the back of the ooma hub is a port marked "Phone" which acts like a phone jack and supplies dial tone.

So you only need to plug the base station of the cordless phone into the ooma hub. There is no need to plug the cordless phone or the ooma hub into a phone jack.
So...

From the integrated router/modem run the ethernet to the Ooma port marked "Modem" then,

From the cordless base station phone plug in the line cord and run it to the Ooma port marked "Phone" then,

Plug in the power line for the Ooma (from the Ooma to an electrical outlet) then,

The Ooma should work?

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 am

atici wrote:Do you have other basic landline service from AT&T etc or do you use ooma standalone?
Basic landline service from AT&T

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 am

If dect 6 phone prices are to high, there is a Uniden sale for a single phone, dect 6 quality. Expandable later on. (for a price of course)

http://www.unidendirect.com/itemdetail. ... 80&tabid=1

$16.99, not bad if you are on a budget.

Wayne

atici

Post by atici » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:46 am

christyb wrote:
Basic landline service from AT&T
I see. That complicates things. I don't have that. I use ooma for everything :) Then you really need to be close to a phonejack. Or you can cancel AT&T or you can keep your existing phone connected to phone jack (and AT&T) and get another DECT phone for ooma. But you will have two different phone numbers then.

This is the phone I'd recommend (it also has 3 handset and 4 handset models):
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Cordles ... 001P80ERA/

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 pm

christyb wrote:
bw1 wrote:Like all cordless phones the base station needs to be plugged into a phone jack that supplies dial tone. That phone jack is normally the phone jack on the wall in your house that's connected to the phone company.

So...

From the integrated router/modem run the ethernet to the Ooma port marked "Modem" then,

From the cordless base station phone plug in the line cord and run it to the Ooma port marked "Phone" then,

Plug in the power line for the Ooma (from the Ooma to an electrical outlet) then,

The Ooma should work?
Yes, it will work like that.

However, if you've activated and selected the option to use your existing phone service (integrated landline) then the Play and Fast Forward (>, >>|) buttons on the Ooma hub will be solid red and the tab will be flashing red when you plug in the hub. If that's the case, you'll need to contact customer support to change your configuration to not use your landline.

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:07 pm

bw1 wrote:If that's the case, you'll need to contact customer support to change your configuration to not use your landline.
Sorry to be obtuse but I need to clarify...

If I want to have my landline integrated with Ooma (which I do), I need to call support to change my configuration to not use my landline?

Are you saying that I can't have the landline integrated or are you saying something else?

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:22 pm

christyb wrote:
bw1 wrote:If that's the case, you'll need to contact customer support to change your configuration to not use your landline.
Sorry to be obtuse but I need to clarify...

If I want to have my landline integrated with Ooma (which I do), I need to call support to change my configuration to not use my landline?
No, I'm saying that if you selected to use your landline when you activated, you need to contact support to change it to get the Ooma hub to register without connecting your landline. And since you can't connect the landline, that would allow you to use your Ooma system without a landline until you can come up with a way to connect the landline to the hub.
christyb wrote: Are you saying that I can't have the landline integrated or are you saying something else?
The Ooma system is designed to work with or without a landline but it needs to be configured by Ooma to work with or without once the hub is activated by a user.

My understanding is that you activated the hub and you selected to use your existing phone service.

My understanding is also that you want to have the landline integrated but there is no phone jack on the wall in the house in the room where your cable modem is located.

If your Ooma is configured to use a landline and if you don't connect an active phone line to the wall port of the hub, the hub will not work.

But the hub will work without a landline if it's configured that way and all you need is a cable modem, the hub and a phone along with the cables necessary to connect the three.