Handset registration and reset

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
JFSRE
Handset registration and reset

Post by JFSRE » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 am

I just bought an Ooma telo after using my neighbors. We live over seas and i found the call quality excellent. His only problem was his handset never rang, it was defective. So on my last trip back to the USA I bought my Ooma telo and a handset and the swapped his for a new one. While in the US i set up my device and then paired his phone then mine to make sure they worked. They did, but it has now led the two of us to the same minor cosmetic issue. Both our hand sets now say Handset 2. we both would like for them to say 1 as we only have the one in our homes. We have tried the pairing the devices after resetting the handsets with no success. What can we do remedy the situation? I also tried a factory reset of Ooma telo itself:
1. Unplug unit from power for 30 seconds
2. After 30 seconds connect power to Telo
3. When the red ooma logo starts flashing press STOP and TRASH at the same time (the logo should flash blue/red)
4. hold the keys until the ooma logo turns solid red
5. the box should then factory reset and reboot

However the ooma logo never turned solid red as mentioned in step 4. it was solid blue, the flash red then no color then cant quite remeber the rest of the flashing sequencing but never a solid red..it did however restart as i held the stop and trsh buttons for about 4 minutes

tommies

Re: Handset registration and reset

Post by tommies » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 am

to clear out and re-pairing of your hand set, you need to
1. turn off all HS
2. reset the telo
3. reset the HS
4. follow instruction to pair your HS, one by one, if you have more than one.

If it's not working, you need to PM one of the ooma Mod. who are frequent this forum for help. Originally, a factory reset will clear out all HS registration, and then this function was taken out and I don't know if it's working now.

To reset the telo
murphy wrote:It's a little tricky to get it right.
1. Power down the Telo.
2. Power up the Telo.
3. 1 and 2 come on.
4. 1 and 2 go out and trash and envelope come on
5. Trash and envelope go out and the bottom row starts scanning to the right
When the scanning stops the Ooma symbol will light up red

6. Press and hold stop and trash immediately before it blinks.
7. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink red and blue
8. The Ooma symbol will turn solid red
The Ooma symbol will go out and 1 and 2 come on
9. Release the stop and trash buttons.
When all of the lights come on wait for a bit because every time I have done the reset it did another reboot shortly after the lights came on.
The timing is critical in step 6., and I'm not always success in the first try.

to reset the ooma hand set, and it's not an easy one either.
1. turn off the HS by press & hold the End/Red button
2. press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode.
I usually do it this way with the HS on the table, my right hand press+hold the two keys in step 2. and turn it on with my left hand. It works every single time.

PS.
This makes the physicall button for a hardware/factory reset much desirable.
tommies

av8rdude

Post by av8rdude » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:35 am

I have two handsets and just want to swap them....so that 1 becomes 2 and 2 becomes 1 :)

I turned both handsets off....did telo reset....registered the unit I wanted to be 1....and it came up again as 2?

So this did not work for me.

Ideas?
Scott

bnt417

Post by bnt417 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Ooma made a few mistakes on their design. This is a BIG one. Could they have made it more complicated to do something as simple as resetting the handsets to the base station?

I bought my first handset and it was bad. Then purchased three more. Now want to add a 4th but can't without resetting the whole thing.

Speaking of the handsets. Two things come to mind. Expensive. Poorly designed. They are 20 years behind Panasonic and others in design and functionality. To bad you have to purchase their handset to get access to the second line!!!!!

One more item. What do users think about their support? Wow. About all they know how to do is get your account information to identify who they are talking with. Beyond that, lights on but nobody home.

Another company loosing site of the true importance of customer support by outsourcing to the low bidder.

My prediction is that this will hurt Oomo in the long run. :(

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:38 am

To reset the handset registration pick up the phone connected to the Telo's Phone port and dial the following sequence.

*#*#191
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

pierrer

Post by pierrer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:23 pm

@murphy what should happen when you enter "*#*#191"? I just get busy signal afterward

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:36 am

pierrer wrote:@murphy what should happen when you enter "*#*#191"? I just get busy signal afterward
All of the handsets should go into auto registration mode. Did you do it from a phone connected to the Telo's phone port.
You can't do it from a handset. And yes it does give a busy signal on the phone you do it from.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Post by 8459130052 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:31 am

Dialed the code from the other HD3 handset... it worked. Now my two handsets are #3 and #4! At least they are registered.