house wiring- second number

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dadinthecity
house wiring- second number

Post by dadinthecity » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:28 am

Have Ooma Telo and Panasonic 5.8 group connected to it & cable modem with telo connected directly to it.
Have Telo handset, premier and second phone number dedicated to telo handset.

Currently no connection to house wiring.

If I connect wall jack on telo to house wiring, which number will ring on house? I suspect only the first number.

Any way to get second number to ring on house wiring and thereby other equipment?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

murphy

Re: house wiring- second number

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:39 am

dadinthecity wrote:Have Ooma Telo and Panasonic 5.8 group connected to it & cable modem with telo connected directly to it.
Have Telo handset, premier and second phone number dedicated to telo handset.

Currently no connection to house wiring.

If I connect wall jack on telo to house wiring, which number will ring on house? I suspect only the first number.

Nothing will ring. The wall jack is only used to integrate a land line. The phone port feeds the house wiring.

Any way to get second number to ring on house wiring and thereby other equipment?

The only way to do that with the Telo is to buy two Telo's.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dadinthecity

Post by dadinthecity » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:02 am

thanks Murphy for the reply.

if I were to abandon the telo handset and dedication of the second number, then connect to house wiring would a 2-line phone be able to distinguish between calls coming in from one number vs. the other?

Thanks

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:15 am

dadinthecity wrote:thanks Murphy for the reply.

if I were to abandon the telo handset and dedication of the second number, then connect to house wiring would a 2-line phone be able to distinguish between calls coming in from one number vs. the other?

Thanks
No. There is only one physical phone line available at the Phone port.
The only way you can drive two physical phone lines with the Telo product is to have two Telos.

If there is not a personal handset involved, both numbers will ring on the phone connected to the Telo phone port.
I am not aware of a way to determine which number a call came in on other than after the fact in the call logs.
Both numbers would have the same voice mail in this configuration.

You can not have two simultaneous calls unless you use a Telo handset.
You can place a call using the caller ID of the second number by dialing **1 before you dial the number.

What you are trying to do can be done with the now out of production hub and scout product.
The hub drives one phone line and the scout drives the second phone line.

dadinthecity

Post by dadinthecity » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:05 am

If I buy the bluetooth adapter and a bluetooth headset, would I be able to actually answer the second number calls with the bluetooth headset? or do they have to be all transferred to it as I have seen in some posts?

or would calls from both numbers go to bluetooth adapter?

Thanks for the help

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:08 pm

I am not aware of a way to determine which number a call came in on other than after the fact in the call logs.
You can set different a ring pattern for each number.

Log on to My Ooma, Preferences, Phone Numbers, and click on a number. You can then chose ring pattern such as long-long, short-short-short, etc.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:16 pm

jhphone wrote:
You can set different a ring pattern for each number.

Log on to My Ooma, Preferences, Phone Numbers, and click on a number. You can then chose ring pattern such as long-long, short-short-short, etc.
This is how I have my Telo set up. We use it for both our home number and for a non-profit I run. The first number rings normally. The second one, associated with the non-profit, rings with 2 short rings. It makes it easy to tell what number is being dialed so we can answer accordingly. Both numbers are shared on my Telo and on both of my handsets. I also have a 6 station cordless base connected to the PHONE port.

I also take things a tad farther. We don't give out either of the Telo numbers. Instead, we have two "naked" Google Voice accounts. One for us, the other for the organization. The one for us rings my cell and the Telo. The orgaization GV number rings only the Telo, but if we were traveling, I could have it ring the cell as well. When I say "naked" Google Voice I mean that I have chosen NOT to use Google Voice Extensions for Premier. All of my voicemail goes to the appropriate GV number, I can send and receive text messaged from my PC with either one - and I can set up schedules and even call groups so only people I choose get through.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:32 pm

I guess I was asleep.
I have a different ring set up for my second number.
Maybe I'm getting burned out.

dadinthecity

Post by dadinthecity » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:46 pm

thanks everyone. The main caveat became being unable to turn off call waiting and voice mail from just one number.

The long number of rings works fine if we are away, but if the 2nd number (dedicated to handset) is busy, I can't have it go to voicemail, have to have them turned off.

I went out and bought a hub today and am in process of installing it. Sooo, I just spent a good chunck of what I've saved over the last 7 months, but not all of it and I will continue to save. :cool:

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:59 pm

dadinthecity wrote:....thanks everyone. The main caveat became being unable to turn off call waiting and voice mail from just one number.
I can only believe that this different line-features prohibition is just a software issue for the Ooma. Different Preferences for each number should easily be supported at the Ooma server site, if not even more easily locally on the Telo.

As it's currently implemented, the "two lines" feature is scarcely more than a marketing ploy. I can understand that a proper "two lines" implementation should be a Premier feature. But as it actually exists it has very limited utility (only one phone, etc...) and you have to buy the handset.

The notion that an incoming call on line 1 must be processed identically to a call on line 2 is, well, incredible.

Currently, you can sent different ring patterns for each line.

So.... Ooma, why not ditto for voice mail, call waiting, and other user-settable settings?