Phone does not ring on incoming calls

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
MrMikeL
Phone does not ring on incoming calls

Post by MrMikeL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi, glad to be an Ooma newbie. Got my Hub today, have it connected between my DSL modem and my wireless router, as described. I have a "plain old telephone" connected to the phone port on the Hub. I can make outgoing phone calls, no problem. However, incoming phone calls do not ring on the attached phone. I can see incoming calls via the red blinking light when I call from my cellphone, but the phone connected to the Hub does not ring.

I'd like to be able to hear the phone ring and not just respond when I see the red blinking light. Any ideas? Thnaks in advance for your help!

southsound

Re: Phone does not ring on incoming calls

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Are you able to answer the call when you see the red light? Are you sure that the phone has the ringer turned on (several of mine allow you to turn off the ringer via a switch on the side)? Could you try a different phone (maybe a neighbor's)?

The ooma puts out a signal that emulates the phone company - in other words, ringing, talk battery (voltage), reorder when left off-hook, etc. There is no inherent reason that a working phone should not work with a properly connected ooma device.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

MrMikeL

Post by MrMikeL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Thank you for the reply. I have tried two different phones that I know to work. Checked the ringer setting on both. If I see the red light flashing, I can answer the phone with no difficulty, it's just that I can't hear the phone ringing. I have performed several tests of incoming and outgoing calls with my cell phone, and this is the only issue.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:40 pm

If there is no problem answering them as the light is flashing and the phones ring on a normal telephone line, then there is a problem with your ooma device. I would suggest either returning it to the store where you purchased it for another unit, or if it was a closeout or something, calling ooma at 888 711-6662 for an RMA (Return Materials Authorization). Tell them that the system works well but does not provide ring voltage. They will send you another unit pre-authorized for your account.

Sorry that your first experience with ooma is less than wonderful - but when you get this sorted out I believe you will love the product and the forum! :cool:
Lifetime Premier Member

MrMikeL

Post by MrMikeL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Ok, problem solved. I did more fiddling with phone cords and the phones and the phone now rings! What a sweet sound! Thanks again for all the help, southsound.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Congratulations! And now that things are working, don't be a stranger. There are lots of nice people on the forum. It's a little unlike many of the other forums out there. I think you'll like it.
Lifetime Premier Member

dschmidt_2000

Post by dschmidt_2000 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:55 pm

southsound wrote:The ooma puts out a signal that emulates the phone company - in other words, ringing, talk battery (voltage), reorder when left off-hook, etc. There is no inherent reason that a working phone should not work with a properly connected ooma device.
Except it cannot drive an old fashioned bell ringer.

At least when I plug in my Southwest Bell phone with a mechanical ringer my Ooma Hub cannot make it ring. Electronic ringer phones have no problem ringing.

Had the same problem with MagicJack.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:26 pm

dschmidt_2000 wrote:
southsound wrote:The ooma puts out a signal that emulates the phone company - in other words, ringing, talk battery (voltage), reorder when left off-hook, etc. There is no inherent reason that a working phone should not work with a properly connected ooma device.
Except it cannot drive an old fashioned bell ringer.

At least when I plug in my Southwest Bell phone with a mechanical ringer my Ooma Hub cannot make it ring. Electronic ringer phones have no problem ringing.

Had the same problem with MagicJack.
There is a bias adjustment on mechanical ringers that will allow the ringer to respond to lower signals. You need to set it to the low bias position. The picture below may be enough to help you out:

If you need more details, there are some excelent links and advice here.
Lifetime Premier Member

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 am

dschmidt_2000 wrote:Except it cannot drive an old fashioned bell ringer.
Just add a "ring booster" to the circuit. I've never used one, so I don't have make/model recommendations, but it's a solution that's designed for this problem. A web search for that phrase will show you the options and pricing.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

dschmidt_2000

Post by dschmidt_2000 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:57 am

I don't plan on opening up my phone to change the bias adjustment - not even going to open it up to check.
There's no room for 2 bells in mine, and though it's a Northwestern Bell phone I'm not sure there is an adjustment in there.

I'm only bringing it up that this could be a reason a phone will not ring on incoming calls.