No OOMA telephone #'s in my exchange1

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
MrTesla
No OOMA telephone #'s in my exchange1

Post by MrTesla » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Err....What to do....What do I port over to?

I am currently integrated with my landline to my Telo using my bundled DSL/landline #......

My number is 803 644-xxxx...I got this:

Ooma Phone Number Availability:
We're sorry, but we currently don't have phone numbers available in your calling exchange, though we may have some available soon. To verify future availability, please call a member of our customer support team at 1-888-711-6662.
Number Porting Availability:
It looks like we can port your phone number to Ooma! If you're already an Ooma customer, you can start the porting process by visiting the My Ooma add-ons page.

Port my current number tto where? They have no OOMA #'s available!

Yikes

Greg

MrTesla

Re: No OOMA telephone #'s in my exchange1

Post by MrTesla » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:42 am

Just brainstorming at 430EST in the morning. UNBUNDLE THE ATT DSL and kill the landline leaving the ATT DSL Naked (DIrect)?

If OOMA has no temp available numbers...Why can I not:

1. Contact ATT and "unbundle" the DsL from landline by cancelling and port the number to the converted naked DSl ? Again; porting the landline number through ATT off the Landline I will be cancelling to the dryloop that will remain?
The dryloop will need an account number(my current landline number).

OOMA already has my number in their servers that would need to be ported if they had a temp number they can't provide...so why not kill all the delay and port time by convincing ATT to make the DSL naked by killing the landline and porting the 803-644-xxxx number as the account number of the dryloop? That could be done in day or so; under the threat of dumping ATT completely and moving to a major cable provider.

Just can't get any sleep over this technical fiasco.

LMK what you guys think. Maybe ATT is making it harder on those with bundled DSL than is really technically necessary.

I can see the lead time if you have a temp # porting to a dryloop..but with no available temp numbers...One has to get inventive and avoid all this HASSLE of unbundling and killing the landline concurrently.

With the threat of unbundling or lose clients to cable...it may be possible without a port from OOMA's side as the dry loop would have already had the landline number ported to it by ATT.

Sounds too easy....

Thanks....Greg

PS.....Otherwise this OOMA is going back to Amazon....too much hassle for 35 dollars a month savings.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:46 am

Port your number to Ooma. You don't need an Ooma issued number to do that.

After the port you will either have a dry loop DSL or AT&T will issue a new number.
Many people have found that DSL with a number is cheaper than DSL without a number.

It makes no sense to me but then the classic land line phone companies have never made much sense to me. They charged $1.00 per month for touch tone service for decades. If they had not charged for touch tone service they could have eliminated their pulse dialing hardware a long time ago.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:51 am

If you decide to have ooma change your configuration to stand alone (as many of us have suggested and I believe you want to do), ooma can give you a number in a nearby prefix that may have the same free calling area as your existing prefix. But make sure you check this out for yourself because dialing plans differ. The information should be in the front of your telephone book. If it is not local, it won't matter to you because your calling is free anyways - but it could cost your callers if they pay for long distance. If they can't provide such a number today, have them order one for you. It may take a week or so, but they do it for many folks.

If you are going to sign up for the Annual Premier, your porting of one line is included ($40 value) and you could keep your ooma number as a separate line. In that case, you may want to consider having that number in the area code of a friend or relative who calls you a lot (or would if the call were free).
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

MrTesla

Post by MrTesla » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:32 am

In the 803 area code...I live in the largest city...Why port teh Number to OOMA when att can port it off my land line to my dry loop? It's the same number I have registered their servers. Are you telling me it I had existing dry loop I would have to have a temp OOMA number(N/A) then port it? It's a very inefficient , method...Itell my friends oK I am changing my number of 15 years to this; then 4 weeks later i e-mail and sau oh...go back to the old number,,,

Has to be a better way.

What happens if there are no temp #'s in the 803 area code (unbelievable...It's ATT's.....

Wow...time to box this pup up and send it back.......I spent more time away from my consulting work yesterday than OOMA will save me in 35 years.

Just frustrated here...sorry for the rant...No one did address my unbundling scenario....in my first post...Would that work with out a port to OOMA?

Thanks...Greg

fognet

Post by fognet » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I purchased OOMA so I could have two phone numbers, one private and business. My business phone has been totally useless! I live in a small community but my business area/prefix is in St. Louis about 90 miles away. My customers no longer call my business number because it is long distance; even though we are in the same small town.

OOMA, Please get me a phone number for my calling area and prefix. 573-783-XXXX If this cannot be accomplished I will have to give up my Premier account and buy a VOIP or heaven forbid ATT line that can issue a local number.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 am

fognet wrote:OOMA, Please get me a phone number for my calling area and prefix. 573-783-XXXX If this cannot be accomplished I will have to give up my Premier account and buy a VOIP or heaven forbid ATT line that can issue a local number.
Although there are a few awesome ooma representatives who frequent this forum, the majority of us are just customers like yourself. As such, we really can't help with your issue. You might want try calling support at 888 711-6662 and seeing if you can request a number in your local calling area. When I first got my ooma hub more than two years ago, there were no numbers - but within a couple of weeks ooma was able to provide one. Now I have three ooma numbers - all local. It just takes a little time and perseverance. If support is not able to help, then find one of the folks from ooma on the forum (Norm Toy might be a great choice) and send a PM detailing your problem and asking for help. I've found ooma to be a great company that really cares about meeting their customers' needs.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

jblock312

Post by jblock312 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 am

Maybe ATT is making it harder on those with bundled DSL than is really technically necessary.

Maybe so.
Check AT&T's website for dsl only. Plug in your address to see if you can get dry dsl.
If so, then you should be able to order dry loop dsl and accomplish what you want. If not, then you have to call and request dry loop, which they may or may not give you.
I know it doesn't seem to make much sense, but they won't split your phone and dsl if they are on a shared account.
At least they wouldn't for me. Kind of a frustrating, inefficient process, but worth it, in my opinion.
Good luck!

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am

murphy wrote:If they had not charged for touch tone service they could have eliminated their pulse dialing hardware a long time ago.
Not really. Many customers own old equipment that has only pulse dialing, and typically they want to continue using it.