NOMOROBO NOT BLOCKing Robo calls

Anything related to the Ooma Residential calling app
RustyD
NOMOROBO NOT BLOCKing Robo calls

Post by RustyD » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm

6099520066 calls at least once daily. This site has MULTIPLE REPORTS about this being a nuisance caller. https://www.reportedcalls.com/6099520066

I have had these type of nuisance callers often and they are always reported online in sites that come up with yahoo search,but never stopped through the software. My blockage level is high. And set to play number disconnected. And all entries are these type of calls.

I do not understand how this number is getting past nomorobo as did the others.

I have no manually blocked it. But wonder is no nomorobo really doing its job?

FarmerBob

Re: NOMOROBO NOT BLOCKing Robo calls

Post by FarmerBob » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:18 am

I have been using NMR for years and built a great database. I moved to Ooma and I have no idea how and if the two are connected and working. Set the Blocking to recommended and got barraged with every kind of call. That has never ever happened since the turn-of-the-century. It basically flipped everything. Calls that should come through were being blocked. Calls that should have been blocked are attacking by the billions. And i thought the blocked calls got a message to press a key and be let through. But no. I have been told they are getting hung up on.

SO . . . the other day, I turned the blocking all off. And now no more barrage. I have left the other line on and they are getting calls. I have to go turn it all off on that line and see what happens.

Oh! and what about the Enhanced Caller ID?! The only enhancements I'm seeing is that perfectly fine numbers are being rewritten to spoofs.

Robek

Post by Robek » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:26 am

Does Nomorobo let its users create their own databases? What exactly are the "recommended" blocking preferences set to, while this barrage of calls is going on? Did something happen at the turn of the century, that compares to the current issue? How likely is it that turning off call blocking altogether really stops the barrage more effectively than leaving it on? What happened with this other line, and is it associated with a separate Ooma account, or with some other carrier? Please provide a clearer description of the problem.

Nomorobo's call blocking behavior is different for mobile phones vs. landlines. Nomorobo does let callers enter a code to push the call through, but only for landlines, and only for ten minutes; it also changes the Caller ID number for such calls.

Ooma's call blocking behavior is different from Nomorobo's. Ooma may make use of Nomorobo's database, but it still does its own call blocking. That gives its users the option to decide how to handle blocked calls.

Enhanced Caller ID only provides a name to go with a given number. It does not rewrite the number.

FarmerBob

Post by FarmerBob » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 pm

That's how it all is suppose to work. It doesn't. As far as the call blocking, I turned it all off and it's working better.

As far as any of the CID actions, nothing there. I read what and how it's suppose to work, but it doesn't. And it's now a 50/50 proposition as to what you'll get. Even ones that have been correct may not be at a later date.

Robek

Post by Robek » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:14 pm

Any call that would go through with call blocking turned on should still go through with call blocking turned off. If it appears to work better when off, then that is probably for some other reason.
FarmerBob wrote:That's how it all is suppose to work. It doesn't.
For trouble-shooting, that's not much to go on.