IOS Mobile App - Continues to Ring ...

Anything related to the Ooma Residential calling app
Iraisok
IOS Mobile App - Continues to Ring ...

Post by Iraisok » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:11 pm

The mobile app is a nice feature however there are a few issues, if ever resolved would work as intended by developers and as expected by Ooma customers.

Using latest Ooma IOS HD mobile app installed on my iPhone 4 that uses IOS 7.1.2 (final version for it). Note: Items listed below were apparent with earlier app releases:

1. Major Annoyance: The app continues to ring when the home phone is used to answer a call. - Major Annoyance!!!
At times, the app continues to ring until I CLOSE the app. When in conversation on the home phone and the Ooma is ringing incessantly, it ain't good! Then there are times, when the ringing (not in my head but the app) stops in about 20 sec when answering on home phone and in conversation. Either way it does not serve as a good selling point for those on the other end of the call.

2. Communication is not reliable (even when on WiFi). I've run tests where I call another number, person is in eyeball range and I call that person (landline or otherwise) at times they do not hear me. I redial, they answer again and now they hear me.

3. Perhaps related to above - App rings, I quickly answer the call, the app says I'm connected but no one is there. I disconnect then redial on the app, it connects and they say 1st attempt it went to my voice mail. I only hear 2 rings at time I answer app and while I set my Panasonic main home phone to answer on the 4th ring and Ooma Telo to answer on 5th ring (BTW: that works great for my needs operationally), apparently, the number of rings heard by caller was 4+ rings while the app probably began ringing after the 2nd ring. This does not happen all the time.

4. General Comment: The success rate of connecting to ANYONE when attempting to answer using the app is honestly no more than 20% of the time. So, the only good use I get from the app is an occasional call out or viewing who called home after which I would likely use my Verizon cell to call back or, if I'm ambitious, attempt to use the Ooma App to call them back.

Has ANYONE experienced these issues whether it be with the IOS or Android Ooma app?

To Ooma personnel reading this - have you heard of these issues? If yes, is there an effort to correct these issues?

Thanks,
Ira

mike_b

Re: IOS Mobile App - Continues to Ring ...

Post by mike_b » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Iraisok wrote: Major Annoyance: The app continues to ring when the home phone is used to answer a call.
The same thing happens with the Android Ooma app.
The Android app is an embarrassment to an otherwise good Ooma phone system.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:18 pm

mike_b wrote:
Iraisok wrote: Major Annoyance: The app continues to ring when the home phone is used to answer a call.
The same thing happens with the Android Ooma app.
The Android app is an embarrassment to an otherwise good Ooma phone system.
I just noticed it happening recently. I usually keep my phone on vibrate, so it is not overly annoying. For me, it eventually stops on its own.

The biggest issue I have is that the Android app does not ring my Bluetooth handset. It will let me switch to the handset once the call is in progress.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Now that others have come forth and stated they experience the "over"ringingringringing ... (have I gotten my point across), I still would like an Ooma Administrator to comment - have they experienced same, is this a known bug, is on a laundry list to "wash away" someday? If yes yes yes, when?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Using WiFi or 3G cannot reproduce using App 5.1.2 on iPhone 4S (iOS 8.1.1) or iPod Touch (iOS 7.0.2). But have asked our QA about it.

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:28 am

Tom, if the QA department needs a list of problems to review just visit the Android app feedback page on Google Play. You will see a long list of one star reviews. I can understand having problems with an app, but it looks bad on Ooma to have such a large number of negative reviews and no new release of the app in almost three months. It appears that Ooma doesn't care about the problems and negative reviews. Why can't your developers fix one or two of the problems and make a new release? The mobile apps could be a nice addition to the Ooma phone service, but right now they are really hurting the Ooma reputation.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Our apologies for that. I don't have visibility into that but do know that a new android version is not far away.

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:30 pm

To Tom B.

iPhone 4, IOS 7.1.2, Latest Ooma app (again - issue is not app version specific):

I forgot to include another goofy occurrence with the App when you set My Ooma options to simultaneously ring App when home phone rings.

When a call is made from home to my cell phone (the one that has the App and is set to ring simultaneously when my home phone "rings") at this time I am NOT connecting via the App but from my cell number. Then we hang up, in about 10 seconds my Ooma App begins to ring reporting that there is call from my home. That is TOTALLY BOGUS! More of a laugh that it does that and odd if you tell me "never experienced by those in the "Quality Control" section ... who checkout Ooma s/w.

This is repeatable 100% of the time.

Have you or anyone experienced that or am I the first (I hear that often then the issue is fixed).

Ira

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:03 pm

You're using the telo to call your mobile number which is completely unrelated to receiving an inbound call on your telo number. Nonetheless the app rings. Is your cell phone possibly forwarded to your telo number?

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:36 pm

Tom,

Correction - it does not happen 100% of the time but for certain happens enough that I felt it worth mentioning. Please read on .....

I am not forwarding my cell number to home or anywhere. I only have set my Ooma to simultaneously ring my Ooma app when my home phone (Telo 2) has a call coming in. In a prior email that you already read I described a laundry list of issues with the app, that you said would pass to developers(?).

This issue restated:
I stated that AFTER WE COMPLETE our conversation (home using Telo2 to my cell number) and hang up, the Ooma app begins to ring reporting there is a CALL FROM Home.

Why is it normal for my OOMA APP to ring incessantly after both of us have hung up and the app was NOT used. I suggest that simultaneous ring somehow gets "hunked up" at times causing this issue?

Hope that clarifies it.

Looking fwd to your response.

Tnx,
Ira
Last edited by Iraisok on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.