Ooma iOS app using notification tone, not ringtone

Anything related to the Ooma Residential calling app
Feibo
Ooma iOS app using notification tone, not ringtone

Post by Feibo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:45 pm

The Ooma iOS app not making any ringing sound when an incoming call is received by it. I get a slight "bip" sound initially, but that is all. I cannot see anyway to change that behaviour. I have the notification sound set to on, but there is no real sound produced. So I usually miss incoming calls. Can you please update the app so that you can choose which notification tone the app will use for an incoming call? This is certainly possible since a number of other IM apps do this. This way I can even pick a ringtone different than the default one so that I can hear the difference between an incoming call on the Ooma app and a normal incoming call to my mobile number.

dlong

Re: Ooma iOS app using notification tone, not ringtone

Post by dlong » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:00 am

I agree. A vibrate and ring tone should activate on a call. According to iOS Developer Library Developer UIKit Framework Reference UILocalNotification Class Reference, UILocalNotificationDefaultSoundName should do it:

UILocalNotificationDefaultSoundName: Identifies the default system sound to play when a notification alert is displayed. You assign this value to the soundName property.

thad
Ooma Moderator

Post by thad » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:58 am

Hi, thank you for the report. We are looking into a fix for this. 27211

mariner

Post by mariner » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:20 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only Ooma customer experiencing this problem, which is the impression whenever I contact tech support. So far, the only consistent message I've gotten is that something must be wrong on my side (IOS version, cell / wireless signal quality, phone version, etc.), so somehow I'M expected to troubleshoot this problem.

It would be very helpful to let all the tech people know, and instruct them to communicate to Ooma customer that this is a known bug and it is being worked on. They're nice people, but if they don't have the information, they can't help.

As far as I can tell, the mobile application is also causing problems with my Ooma home service. My wife is very troubled by the fact that she can't answer the phone (no sound in either direction) when I have the service set to simultaneously ring the mobile application. We've also been losing home calls in the middle of conversations, which stopped happening when I stopped using the app.

I've spent close to $200 switching to Ooma from another VOIP provider that actually had a functioning IOS app, and I'm getting nothing but worry and grief on the home front.

I'm not a tech newbie, and in 30+ years of using computers and mobile devices, I haven't been a complainer. I usually don't write forum posts like this. Until now.

In the meantime, I've obtained a Convoi number from Citrix so I can have SOME mobile cellular-data-based service. I'm writing separately to Ooma support to see if I can get SIP information so I can get Ooma calls directly on a SIP-enabled soft phone (Bria).

Ooma might want to consider pulling the app until it's fixed, or at least letting IOS users know that inbound calling won't be working until further notice.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:57 pm

I assume when at home the app is using WiFi? Does the problem happen if you select cellular instead?

Your telo is behind the modem but QoS upstream is at default 512. Please perform a speedtest at various times of the day and adjust QoS according to your findings.