Ooma Home Security

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
rkogrady
Ooma Home Security

Post by rkogrady » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:00 am

I've been very anxious to try the Ooma Security. I was disappointed to see that my Telo would only accept 3 monitors, but I figured that would be enough for me to test the system before I upgraded to a new Telo.

I have two other family members with their own households who also use Ooma and are considering using the security. We are wondering if it is possible for one phone app to control and monitor multiple systems. For example, if I wanted to enter my mother's house, could I turn off her system from my phone if my phone is used for my home system? If my mother's alarm went off, could I use the app on my phone in my own house to contact 911 and display her information instead of my own? Also, two of the households have pets, and the motion detectors are not yet compatible with animals. When is this expected, and what size/weight animal will trigger the detector?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Ooma Home Security

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:23 am

An app session applies to the telo you're logging in for. The pet immunity setting is under development.

jwsheff

Post by jwsheff » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm

I recently installed a new Telo, Linx and Home Security Sensors. I have had numerous problems with the Home Security App as follows.

Contact – Phone Call Notification and SMS Notification. When I try to add a contact, the Home Security App goes to my phone’s contact list. If I select and save one from the phone contact list that number does not appear on the Home Security App Contact list. The only way I can get one to appear is to enter the number on the phone’s contact list and ignore the phone’s request to update the contact it already has. That in turn causes the Home Security App to stop. When I start the app again the number is there. Playing with what works and what doesn’t ended up adding 4 numbers to the Home Security App Contact list. Now I need to remove 2 BUT there is no Delete function. The Update does not work but if it did there is no way to indicate which contact you wish to update.

Pairing – Add Sensor. The first sensor add went flawlessly but after that not so much. If I tap “Add Sensor” it will respond with a request to identify which type, I select Door/Window. The app then starts to search for a paired door/window sensor but never conditions my Telo to accept a paring signal from the sensor in the paring mode. After a very long period the app times out and reports no sensor was found inspite of the fact I pressed the paring button on the sensor right next to the Telo. Out of frustration, I tried to unpair the one and only sensor I had paired. That also seemed to fail. After a long period of the sensor wiggling in the app, the unparing timed out, the sensor was still present and would report to the Telo when opened. The unparing seemed to fail and it did for about 24 hours, then all of a sudden it was gone. It is as if the OOMA server queued the unpair request and finally sent it down stream to my Telo the next day. After that I started to pay more attention to my Telo and all of a sudden it would report it was ready for pairing. It turns out that is in response to the Add Sensor, paring request I had made the day prior. I am not sure why the delay, but I have tried putting my Telo right behind the cable modem with nothing else, moved it to another ISP, used the WiFi on my phone and also the data service, all make no difference.

My work around. I noticed the Telo reports it is in the paring mode when I registered my Linx. It turns out that you can manually put the Telo in the paring mode the same way you condition it to register a Linx, press the Page button on the Telo. Once the blue OOMA logo starts to flash, press the pairing button on the sensor and it works. I never found any documentation indicating that will work but it does. You will still need to go to the Home Security App to give it a better name than Sensor 1 and to set up notification parameters. I also notice renaming the sensor in the Home Security App does not immediately make the change in Telo because if I open the sensor it still reports Sensor 1. I am comfortable that will be updated after the unexplained 24 hour delay.

I have talked to support many times trying to fix the above issues and all they could do for me is open a ticket. They said I would receive an email with more information in 24 to 48 hours, well that didn’t happen. They did not tell me about the manual paring process, guess they don’t know.

Anyway I am moving forward inspite of these issues because I believe this will ultimately be a good thing. I really like the status information the Home Security App provides and how I can set different notifications for Day, Night and Away. I can now see if I leave a door open when away from the house and can effectively arm the system even if a door/window is open. My old alarm system would not let me do that.

UPDATE:
Support has resolved the pairing issue. I can now pair from my Home Security App and not need to perform the manual procedure. What is still unresolved is the ability to delete/remove a contact from the Home Security App phone or the SMS contact list. Hope this can be resolved. Who ever heard of an app without a delet function?

AnthonyH
Ooma Moderator

Post by AnthonyH » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi jwsheff,

This is Anthony on the product team at Ooma. Thanks for reaching out!

I'm glad to hear that the support team was able to resolve your pairing issue.

With regards to deleting Contacts, you can swipe on the contact that you want to delete and press "Remove". I agree that this interaction is not intuitive for everyone, so we are already working on a way to make this more apparent for users. Please stay tuned :-)

With regards to the issue that you are seeing with unpairing sensors, this is a known issue and we're working on a fix for it. I'm seeing the same behavior that you're seeing as well.

Please let us know if you have any other issues!

jwsheff

Post by jwsheff » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi Anthony,

Wow that worked great after giving up on a right swipe and trying left . Thanks :D :D :D :D :D

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Tue May 30, 2017 6:26 am

I just wanted to add a description of my problem here. The door sensor just randomly stopped working one day and disconnected itself. I finally got around to trying to fix it, went to the Ooma Home Monitoring app and tried to unpair the sensor. Well, the icon would sit there and jiggle for a few minutes and then I'd get a message that it had failed to unpair. I tried a few more times without success. Then the next day I tried again and it finally unpaired. Now, I can't get anything to pair again.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue May 30, 2017 6:28 pm

homeforus, your system shows 1 sensor paired

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Wed May 31, 2017 6:40 am

Tom, thanks for checking on that. I was able to unpair the sensor yesterday morning (after being unable to do it the previous night). Then I paired it again last night. Apparently, the batteries had just died on the sensor (after it had been in action for about a month or so). I never got a low battery warning. It just died. I was using the alkaline batteries that came with sensor.

Anyhow, it now appears to be working. But I'm worried about what happens to the reliability of this self-monitored system if batteries just die with no warning (and especially after such a short period, but for this time I'll chalk it off to potentially bad batteries??)

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed May 31, 2017 11:14 am

various issues will be addressed in an upcoming release

MikeOrlando02

Post by MikeOrlando02 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:20 am

I am unable to pair my ooma motion sensor with my Telo as well. I can get the motion sensor into pairing mode with steady green blinking, but the app just says it is "starting pairing mode on your telo". Nothing happens after that and the pairing mode on the motion sensor stops, but the phone app just continues to display the same message until it is cancelled.