OOMA Security - Why no smoke or CO detectors?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
ooma4us
OOMA Security - Why no smoke or CO detectors?

Post by ooma4us » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:42 am

Just curious why OOMA has not released either a smoke or CO detector as part of their initial rollout? To my way of thinking if I was going to use OOMA as a security system I would need the option of being notified of both a smoke (fire) situation and a CO issue. It would also be nice if they had a temperature sensor so you could monitor interior temperature to see if your furnace had failed during the heating season for those of us in colder climates.

Bill

holmes4

Re: OOMA Security - Why no smoke or CO detectors?

Post by holmes4 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 pm

May I suggest Leeo? I have two (one to cover a basement with a non-interconnected detector) and they do exactly what you want. Rather than an expensive, dedicated detector (or multiples if you need more than one), Leeo listens for the sound of your existing detectors and notifies you instantly through an app (also will call you.) It also reports temperature and humidity and even serves as a nightlight.
Steve

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Per the Ooma Home Security video, Ooma works with the Nest Protect smoke/CO alarm and the Nest Learning thermostat.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Fri May 12, 2017 8:49 am

Yes, in the Ooma Home Security video, it does mention that Ooma works with Nest Protect. If you have a Nest Protect, and you have an alarm triggered, the Nest app sends you a push notification to let you know (in addition to the siren/alarm that happens audibly at the house). The Ooma integration adds the ability to get a phone call from Ooma that the Nest Protect has been triggered, and the ability to call 911 from your house even if you're not there. I can see that being useful. But there's nothing new integrated directly related to the Home Security app, as far as I can tell.

What would be really cool is if Ooma could utilize/hijack the Nest Protect sirens when there's an alert triggered. I mentioned on another thread that it would be cool if Ooma could add integration with some of the other sirens on the market, like the D-Link one, or the Arlo Pro, which has a siren built into the base station. But each Nest Protect has a built in 85 decibel siren. So that's an even better idea, IMO, because someone is likely to have multiple Nest Protects.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:32 am

You can set up just about any device to send a notification using (of all things) a moisture sensor. It has a short cable with two gold-tipped sensors that activate when immersed in water. HOWEVER you can also activate the sensor by simply shorting the two pins together. It would be a simple matter to solder a couple wires to these two pins and connect them to a hard-wired smoke/CO detector (or any other creative thing you think up that supplies a contact closure). Of course, you have to remember that on the app it will show as a moisture sensor and report "wet" or "dry". SImply name it "smoke" (or whatever) and remember that WET means SMOKE.

Post by 4509771726 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:42 am

Will the smoke detector ever be availible?
Ooma has been advertising it at $59 and coming soon for about 1 year.
Why advertise something you do not have?
It is false advertising and leads buyers to purchase your product with the belief it has a smoke detector.
I purchased under the assumption there was as advertised a smoke detector and I am still checking weekly for cost to a year. Ooma support staff dont even have any information they can share with clients. So why advertise if it isnt really availible at all? You say you have one at $59 yet your staff then suggest paying $300 for one made by another company that will work with ooma. Kinda bate and switch like isnt it?

hputman

Post by hputman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:25 am

thomasm says: "You can set up just about any device to send a notification using (of all things) a moisture sensor."
Kiddie makes a relay module that works with their interconnected smoke alarms
So you could do this for about $85:
- Smoke alarm: $36 https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us ... /rf-sm-dc/
- Relay Module: $18 https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us ... es/sm120x/
- Water Sensor: $30 https://www.ooma.com/home-security/water-sensor/