Security Water Sensor

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
tkramer
Security Water Sensor

Post by tkramer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Has anyone else purchased the water security sensor? I haven't been able to get it to pair the sensor and the Telo. The Home Security app on my phone always says:
"Home Monitoring on your Telo is offline. Please check your internet connection" I have tried both the wifi connection and the cellular connection. It happens on both.

I have called support several times this week and was escalated to the advance support. So far they just keep saying they will call me back but never have any recommendations or solutions.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking of returning it since it seems like I'm on an island with this purchase.

tkramer

Re: Security Water Sensor

Post by tkramer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:21 pm

4th day of calling. I have to repeat all the diagnosis steps and it always ends in someone will call me back. Problem is the call back is when I'm at work the next day or so and not near the Telo. It really does make me wonder if there was any testing done on this product. A security device is supposed to put you at ease, not make you wonder if it will ever work.

tkramer

Post by tkramer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:17 am

Support did help get this working for me. It turned out that I was on old firmware.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 am

I recently got the Ooma Water Sensor. The app is very poorly written but if you are EXTREMELY persistent you can actually get it working fully. Here are a couple secrets...

If the "At Home, Away, NIght" feature is annoying with it's updates simply DELETE all of the times from each one. Then, if you wish, you can change it to whatever one you want manually and it won't pester you. I use the same notification settings all the time so my app is always on "Home" even when I'm away or at night.

If you make a mistake or want to delete one of the contact numbers, SWIPE it to the left!

If you are having trouble adding a contact to be notified, choose NEW contact and create a temporary new contact WITH AN ALPHABETICAL NAME HIGHER IN THE ALPHABET THAN THE ACTUAL CONTACT. When you click save and return to the app, it will terminate and you get the usual "sorry" message from Android. Reload the app but don't bother sending a report to Ooma when it prompts you. Check and you'll probably see that your contact has been added to the notification list. End the app and go to Google Contacts and delete your temporary contact.

Once you work around all the stupid errors in the app it really works quite well. Note that the device does not activate a notification until 20 SECONDS after the water probe is immersed in water. Perhaps this is to prevent splashes from falsely triggering the device.

AnthonyH
Ooma Moderator

Post by AnthonyH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi all, this is Anthony on the product team at Ooma. Thanks for the thread.

@tkramer I'm glad the team was able to determine your issue and fix it.

@thomasm Thanks for your constructive feedback regarding the app. I agree that the app has some areas of improvement, and we are actively working these issues. We will soon give you the ability to disable notifications on mode switches. This will reside in a "System Notifications" screen under the "More" tab. Please stay tuned.

Thanks for pointing out that you can swipe left to delete contacts. We are also adding an edit button that makes this more explicitly available to you.

Thanks for also reporting the crash that is caused when adding new contacts. This is a known issue and we are working on fixing it.

With regards to the water sensor, the sensor checks for the presence of water every 1 minute. This parameter was set in order to extend the battery life. As a result, the sensor will report the presence of water on average within 30 seconds.

jjbosco

Post by jjbosco » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 am

I also have a very old Telo and unable to pair my new water sensor w/ooma new usb bluetooth. I work in IT so can this be checked and thus downloaded???

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:08 am

the sensors use DECT, not Bluetooth

jjbosco

Post by jjbosco » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for the setting this straight, Oh well.. $10 wasted, will remove...
Should have known better since this wasn't a prerequisite to ordering the sensor...
Is the firmware version of the Telo then my issue???

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Your telo is running the correct software to allow for pairing of the water sensor. Please detail what is not working.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

WATER SENSOR UPDATE:
I noticed that the water sensor was occasionally reporting "wet" while installed in my sump pump pit. When I investigated there was no water and the pump was working normally. I finally figured it out. After a rainstorm the water splashing into the pit from the drain tile splashed water droplets on the sensor. Even thought the sensor's probes were never in contact with water the sensor reported wet. In other words, it's too sensitive.

To solve the problem I took an old phone jack cover designed for data jacks and mounted it just above the sensor so that the sensor was shielded from the splashing droplets. It was sort of a makeshift splash shield. It seems to work perfectly but perhaps the design of the water sensor needs to be revisited.