is there a siren? with ooma home security?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
mario3252
is there a siren? with ooma home security?

Post by mario3252 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:24 pm

I just bought the unit today, I am under the impression if an intruder breaks in all I will get is a text ? So there is no siren to deter a criminal like with other alarm system?

oomamaniacal

Re: is there a siren? with ooma home security?

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Currently, there is not a siren, but the Ooma Telo can emit a voice alert, per the Ooma Home Security video.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:11 pm

oomamaniacal wrote:Currently, there is not a siren, but the Ooma Telo can emit a voice alert, per the Ooma Home Security video.
Would it be something like this:

"Attention; attention! You have violated an area protected by a security system. Please call 911 to report this crime so we can send appropriate personnel apprehend you. This is a free call."
:P

Just curious...
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 pm

That message would not be appropriate for the homeowner who keeps the Telo in the safe room. :)
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

larryk

Post by larryk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 am

So, you are asking the burglar to call 911?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:41 am

larryk wrote:So, you are asking the burglar to call 911?
Ooma.com says:

What does the 911 button do?
The 911 button allows you to dial 911 as if you were calling from your home phone and using your home address. This means that you can reach your home’s local emergency services from anywhere in the US or Canada, and that the 911 dispatcher will automatically receive your home address when the call connects.

When you push the 911 button, you will be asked to confirm that you wish to dial emergency services from your home address, along with which phone you are using (e.g. cell phone, work phone, etc.). You will then see a prompt telling you that you will receive a call to the phone you have selected shortly. When you pick up the call, you will need to press “1” to confirm that you wish to dial 911.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

mario3252

Post by mario3252 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:10 pm

still seems silly not to have a siren should add option for a wireless siren also what about a keypad? what if your cell phone is dead ? The product feels very beta is this regard.

jwsheff

Post by jwsheff » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

I just purchased the home security option and have the same desire for a siren but have developed a work around I find just as good. First rather than depending on the Telo voice announcement, I added a contact number for my home number and conditioned the sensors to ring that number at night. In fact I have two numbers assigned to my Telo and I have them both rind, one with a different ring pattern. So when a sensor is open the ruckus in the house is something, both phones ringing with a mix of patterns. The effect is almost as good as a siren.

I also ordered a Velleman K8086 TELEPHONE RING DETECTOR WITH RELAY OUTPUT from Amazon for $27.75. This unit will operate some dry contacts when the phone rings. These contacts will be connected to an X-10 alarm unit that I will arm at night and will trigger an alarm with select flashing lights in the front of the house.

My main purpose is to not just scare a possible intruder but to wake me so I am not surprised with someone standing over me while asleep. This configuration will certainly do that.

mario3252

Post by mario3252 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:48 am

seems like alot of work for a work around when even your cheapest alarm units have a siren built in, what if your asleep in the house and someone breaks in? Or what if you wish to alert near by neighbors my current system even has and outdoor siren. Its like having a silent smoke alarm what good is that?

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:16 am

+1 for having sirens.

ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.