Home Security Text Messaging

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
macbeach
Home Security Text Messaging

Post by macbeach » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm struggling with this produce as others are.

Minor problem was that there was no "out of stock" indication when I ordered both the door/window monitor and the motion detector. I think it said the products would be received in about 7 days. But after 4 days I had received no indication that they had even shipped. When I called I was told it would be shipping soon. I DID get an email after that and then a further 7 days passed and a package arrived... with only the door/window alarm. I'm still waiting for the motion detector.

I had problems others have getting the alarm to sync with the base. Power cycling the base seemed to take care of that.

Finally, and most important, I'd like to get a text message when an alarm event occurs. But my wireless carrier (Republic Wireless) is not on the list. Republic Wireless uses Bandwidth.com for all of its calling, texting needs, in fact until recently Republic was a subsidiary of Bandwidth. When I got to that dialog the box was already filled in as T-Mobile, which happens to be the wireless carrier that Republic uses. But my mobile number is a "virtual" number and texting to it allows Bandwidth to route the text message to the "real" T-Mobile number.

While I was looking into this I found a posting that indicated Bandwidth was also the back-end for Ooma calling. That made me wonder all the more why I can't send a text message to a Republic Wireless phone.

I may be happy enough just relying on the app, but so far it seems fairly slow to wake up. I think a text message would be quicker (and probably drain the phone battery less.)

thomasm

Re: Home Security Text Messaging

Post by thomasm » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:48 pm

There is an Android app called "Text Me Now" that allows you to send and receive text messages without using the text message feature of your phone which often costs money. It uses the internet instead. The Text Me Now app assigns you a text message number which appears on the receiving end. It also assigns a phone number to which text messages can be sent from other phones. This app may work with Ooma Home Security. It's worth a try.