Home Security Door/Window sensor issues

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
Tdbrwn
Home Security Door/Window sensor issues

Post by Tdbrwn » Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 am

After liking the first unit I tried when they came out, I have installed a few more to cover all the entrances into the house.
The main problem at the moment is the sensor on the front door will not clear the low battery alert, indication on the app dashboard, and the Ooma Telo keeps reminding me the battery is low even after changing batteries twice. The info about these sensors states the batteries are supposed to last up to a year and a half.
That sounds great, but the batteries in that sensor lasted about two weeks. Anybody have any ideas about clearing the low battery alert? Is a complete unpairing and repairing the sensor needed to clear it?
I read others are also having the same issues with the sending unit sensors on two of my units getting pushed away from the mounting location causing a "tamper" alert. I've tried changing the tape that secures the sensor to whatever, cleaning the site with alcohol to no avail.
I'm sure a redesign with a somewhat softer spring tension to the part of the sensor that provides the tamper alert will ultimately fix that issue as it is the current spring pushing so hard separating the sensor from the tape.
The last issue I'm curious about are the random text alerts about the whole unit disconnecting and reconnecting from the Internet. An example is from Sunday, around 1:00 pm to 1:30 pm, I had three disconnects and reconnects alerts lasting two to five minutes. We were home and no apparent issues I could find. Anyone else?

homeforus

Re: Home Security Door/Window sensor issues

Post by homeforus » Tue May 16, 2017 9:46 am

Tdbrwn wrote:The last issue I'm curious about are the random text alerts about the whole unit disconnecting and reconnecting from the Internet. An example is from Sunday, around 1:00 pm to 1:30 pm, I had three disconnects and reconnects alerts lasting two to five minutes. We were home and no apparent issues I could find. Anyone else?
I had the same issue with getting push notifications that "Home Monitoring is offline. Check your internet connection" or something like that. Nothing had gone offline, and a minute or less later I'd get a second notification that monitoring was back online --- so it is some kind of quirk. I contacted Ooma tech support about (first couple tiers of tech support didn't know about the problem, but eventually I got an email to let me know it's a known bug they are working on).

Right now I've got just one sensor and haven't had the battery problem with it, or a tamper problem. You should try re-pairing the sensor and see if that fixes it. Otherwise you might just have a bad unit that needs replacing.

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Wed May 17, 2017 7:09 am

Just one more thing to add in there. Every now and then when I open my door and then close it -- the sensor gets out of whack. At this very moment, the door is closed but the sensor shows it as open. This hasn't happened a lot but I've noticed it maybe a couple times over the course of three weeks.

arta

Post by arta » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:55 pm

I don't think the batteries that ship with the devices as very good. I had some that were almost dead when the unit arrived. Installed some new good quality batteries and its been good for over a month.

arta

Post by arta » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Our 2 units have performed great for the one month. We replaced the batteries with duracells, Also, I had to upgrade our telco from our 2009 one to the latest telco.

We had the same issue with the tape. The magnet unit tape works great. The unit with the electronics is the one I have the issue with. I used the screws. But was wonder if wipe with a damp cloth and then mount per instructions. If I should mount the mounting plate and let it sit for a few hours before installing the part with the tamper sensor?? Also, not sure which side of the tape should be on the device and which should be on the door? It does seem like there are 2 different type of tape on the 2 sided tape.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 am

I don't even waste my time with the pressure sensitive tape on the electronics part of the door/window sensors anymore. I got tired of being woke up with a "sensor detects tampering" phone call. I even drilled two small holes in my aluminum patio door and mounted the sensor with the supplied screws. However, the magnet portion works fine with the adhesive tape. Perhaps this is because it is so light. The pressure sensitive tape also works OK on the motion detectors perhaps because the surface area is so large and the motion sensor isn't that heavy.