Window Sensor Placement

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
homeforus
Window Sensor Placement

Post by homeforus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:20 am

I have a slew of window sensors en route, and so far haven't placed any at my home. I'm wondering if anyone has tried placing them where they slide apart laterally rather than vertically or horizontally. This configuration Ooma specifically advises against on http://support.ooma.com/home/ooma-door- ... ow-sensor/, but I'm wondering if it might be my only option for my style windows. It's a normal double hung, with both the top sash and bottom sash moving independently. Problem is, there's a little handle at the bottom to prevent me from putting the sensor at the bottom of the window, and in the middle where the two sashes meet, there's not enough room to fit the magnet between the panes. Maybe I'll figure out something when I get them in hand, but I'm already wondering about whether the lateral sliding apart will work. Other similar sensors on the market seem to show this as an option for placement (I think I saw something on SimpliSafe's website saying it was OK).

murphy

Re: Window Sensor Placement

Post by murphy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:10 pm

I've not seen an Ooma sensor but my Ademco (Honeywell) sensors have the the large section with the battery and circuit board glued to the top of the bottom sash and the magnet removed from its case and glued to the glass of the top sash with RTV.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:12 am

I had wondered if I could take this approach. The space between my top and bottom sashes is very narrow -- too narrow to fit the Ooma magnet. But it might be wide enough to fit a thin magnet adhered to the glass. Will have to test it out. I think this is the ideal placement for a sensor on a window with two independent sashes, since it would detect both the top sash moving or the bottom. Placing the sensor at the bottom of the window would only detect the bottom sash lifting.

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:52 pm

I ended up popping the magnets out of their casing, which was pretty easy. Used 3M adhesive tape to attach it to the window. Seems to have done the trick.