Distance Range of Motion Detector

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
oldguy
Distance Range of Motion Detector

Post by oldguy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Has anyone tested the max distance their motion detector will "see"? I installed one near the front edge of a 6 ft high cabinet as a test and the best I could get was when I was 16 ft from the detector. (Ie, no detection when more than 16 ft away from the sensor and that is standing/moving when directly in front of the detector.) My wife and I were at 18 ft and turned on one burner of a gas stove and the detector would not pick up movement.
I thought maybe I had a bad sensor so I paired a second sensor but it reacted the same way.

thomasm

Re: Distance Range of Motion Detector

Post by thomasm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:34 am

I have one mounted above a bedroom door in my hallway. When I am at the front of my house (probably 30-40 ft.) it detects me immediately. I also have an ADT motion sensor mounted right next to the Ooma unit. It also detects me at this distance. Thus, I would conclude that the Ooma motion detector has excellent coverage. However, others have reported that it is not "pet friendly" and detects objects right to the ground so a dog or cat would probably set it off. I don't have any pets so I'm very happy with the motion detectors.