Alarm Call from Secondary Number

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
blbj
Alarm Call from Secondary Number

Post by blbj » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi all,
I hope this question hasn't been addressed. I looked for it, but didn't see it.

Is there a way to have the Telo call the contact numbers using your Ooma secondary number? I tried setting the contact with the **1 lead in, but it didn't seem to work.

As it stands now for me, if I get a call on my cell from Home, I don't know if it's the alarm being set off, or if someone from home is actually calling me.

Also, by having the secondary number call me, I could set the ringtone on my phone to something that grabs my attention, while having family calls set at something less obnoxious. If my alarm goes off in the middle of the night, I want it to sound like an actual alarm to wake me up.

If this isn't possible, I'd like to recommend the capability.

Thanks.

PeterG

Re: Alarm Call from Secondary Number

Post by PeterG » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:22 am

I second that. Being able to receive the alarm call from the secondary number would allow me to distinguish alarms from other calls, very useful.

DaveJ

Re: Alarm Call from Secondary Number

Post by DaveJ » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was wanting my second number to call me if alarm goes off and I came across this thread. I got this to work perfect for me by making a few changes. First I tried going in My Ooma dashboard and changing the outgoing call to default for my second number. Didn't work as Home security was still using other number. So I called Ooma and had them swap my two numbers around so the second number became my main number.
Went back into my Ooma preferences-privacy and set default number for outgoing calls to my old home number. Then went to preferences-phone numbers-set ring pattern to default for my old number.
This now works as Home security is now calling and using my second number. When we make calls the old home number shows up in caller id. Still rings the same when I get a phone call. These changes are invisible to callers.
An additional trick I did was going into ios contacts and set up 2 seperate contacts. One was Ooma and the other was Home. I set Ooma contact with a burglar alarm ringtone I got in iTunes. Works great when Home security calls me now. I then looked in my text messages and seen the number Ooma texts with and went back into contacts and added it to Ooma. Set the text tone contact in ios to the same burglar alarm ringtone. This works perfect for me as when Home security calls or texts I get the alarm I hope I never have to hear. :o
Remember if you make changes to Ooma you may have to unplug Telo for a few seconds for a reboot for the changes to take affect.
I hope this helps someone.
Dave