New competitor -- Nest/Google jumps into home security

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
homeforus
New competitor -- Nest/Google jumps into home security

Post by homeforus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:15 am

Ooma, you better get on the ball and hurry up rounding out your system fast. Nest just jumped in with a very very clever system that appears at least to fill some major gaps in Ooma's system.Theirs is a little pricier it looks. But door/window sensors double as motion detectors. A key fob that arms and disarms along with a keypad (also app arm/disarm). Built in siren in base station. Built in motion detection in base station. Optional cellular backup. Hinting that professional monitoring will be available eventually.

https://nest.com/alarm-system/overview/

Ha -- maybe this is why the Nest Protect integration I keep asking for isn't gonna happen.

thomasm

Re: New competitor -- Nest/Google jumps into home security

Post by thomasm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 am

There are all kinds of options for professional monitoring-all expensive. I'm sure from the description of this Nest system it ain't gonna be cheap-especially the cellular backup and central station monitoring. Ooma home security didn't cost me a dime extra each month as I already had Ooma Premier for years now. The sensors were expensive, but I'm sure they will be comparable in price to the Nest sensors. Just a few additions to the Ooma system (key fob arming/disarming, smoke detector, siren) would make it very competitive. I hope Ooma is working on these additional pieces of hardware.