Yet another competitor -- Ring Protect home security system

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
homeforus
Yet another competitor -- Ring Protect home security system

Post by homeforus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 am

Well, Ooma, I can officially say I'm starting to have a little buyer's remorse seeing this new Ring Protect system introduced. Professional monitoring. Cellular backup. Battery backup. Siren included. Zigbee and Z-Wave connectivity on the base station. Keypad to arm/disarm in addition to the app. Integrated with Ring's excellent suite of cameras. And the price for equipment doesn't look as bad as Google/Nest. All of that for $10 a month -- which a bunch of people with Ring already might be paying.

Ooma, I love you guys, but if you don't get serious it's game over for you guys on home security.

https://ring.com/protect

John Doe

Re: Yet another competitor -- Ring Protect home security system

Post by John Doe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Wow this is amazing. Way more comprehensive than ooma security. I came across your post because my ooma security stopped working all day but the phone was online (could make calls) and it didn't save a log of activity that happened when it was offline. None of the doors I opened when it stopped working this morning were accounted for in the system log...

The biggest thing I'm excited about in your post is the siren and cellular backup, but the video door bell and the other cameras are a plus too. lol

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:26 am

I don't know. $199 for a "starter" package? Ten bucks a month for monitoring plus that inevitable tax and fees upcharge. (Ooma is free if you have premier). PLUS it isn't even available yet (the website says "coming soon") so there aren't any reviews. I'll stick with Ooma for now...

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:54 am

thomasm wrote:I don't know. $199 for a "starter" package? Ten bucks a month for monitoring plus that inevitable tax and fees upcharge. (Ooma is free if you have premier). PLUS it isn't even available yet (the website says "coming soon") so there aren't any reviews. I'll stick with Ooma for now...
Yeah, but that $10 a month includes professional 24/7 monitoring. It's the lowest price on the market (not to mention if you already have a Ring camera, cloud storage for those devices is included in that $10). Ooma charges $5.99 for you to SELF MONITOR, which honestly, is absurd. Completely absurd. If you wanted to self monitor a Ring system, it's free.

But, alas, Ring's system is on hold while a judge weighs whether they stole intellectual property that belonged to ADT. It's a messy lawsuit, but it looks like the judge is on ADT's side at the moment.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Well, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. ADT is a miserable company to deal with (I know-I did for many years). They HATE to see anyone cancel. When I finally ended my monitoring agreement I was only paying $15 a month for FIRE and BURGLARY!

If Ooma gets the "home security is offline" bug fixed, I feel just as secure as when I had ADT. After all, ADT would only call the local PD or Fire Dept. and report the issue. I can do it just as well right from the app and probably do it faster than ADT did especially when they were busy.

I wonder what kind of central station this Ring outfit is putting together. Is it a UL approved central station or just a bunch of college kids?