Home security constantly going offline

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
thomasm
Home security constantly going offline

Post by thomasm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:28 am

Home security is constantly going offline for no reason. The only way to restore the service is to reboot the Telo. Even though home security is offline, calls can be placed and received. The "flower" is always blue. Why can't home security restart itself?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Home security constantly going offline

Post by Tom » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Some customers may run into this depending on timing. It's fixed in an upcoming backend update.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:04 pm

I hope this is released soon. I'm sure getting tired of rebooting the Telo every 1-2 days to get Home Security back online!!!

redchev1

Post by redchev1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:08 pm

I've had similar problems several times in the past month. I've been using my Ooma voice for over a year and added one motion sensor in June. My Telo is in line between my modem and router. Since adding the sensor my security went offline twice however the light on the Telo stayed solid blue but the voice service quit working and the internet was no longer passing through to my router. Cycling power on the modem and router did not fix it, only cycling power on the Telo fixed it. The first time I was away from home for several days and the service stayed out until I came home and reset it.
Last month I added another motion sensor and three door and window sensors. Twice this week the same failure occurred that could only be fixed by recycling the Telo power. (I did not recycle power on the modem and router.) The app showed security was offline, the phone did not work, internet to the router was gone and the Telo light stayed blue during the failure. I never had to reconnect the sensors.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:38 am

Redchev1, curious problem. There may be something odd about the traffic passing through the telo. Try putting the telo behind the router. You may need to enable QoS on the router depending on your internet usage.

redchev1

Post by redchev1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi Tom,

I may try moving the Telo behind the router but I don't think that traffic through the Telo is causing it. Two of the failures occurred when there was no other traffic besides the Telo using the network. Wifi is only used for a single PC and a Roku which were powered off and a couple of iPhones which were not home. It has not occurred during streaming of movies.

Prior to the first occurrence in September I had used the Ooma phone for about nine months without problems. It had gone offline a few times probably due to software updates but always showed red on the Telo and recovered by itself. I added the first motion sensor and it performed perfectly for nearly three months before the first failure followed a in a few days by the second. I then added the second motion and three door sensors and the failure occurred twice in the last few days.

Besides the home security my system includes two HD2 handsets and a Linx phone jack connected to a desk speaker phone which have been in used for over a year.

I filed an incident report after the first two failures in September (Incident: 170927-002431) and was advised to call customer support but did not have time to so the incident is probably closed. It has happened twicw since.

The problem only occurred after adding the Home Security so I'm wondering if it is a software issue. I also am wondering why a failure of the Telo would interrupt the pass through of the network signal to the router.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:11 pm

when exactly was the last time this happened?

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:01 am

redchev1

The network signal does not pass through the Telo. The Telo is a router and if it stops working there is no way for your router to keep its connection to the internet.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

redchev1

Post by redchev1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Murphy, Thanks for the clarification.

Tom, On 10/12/17 the system went offline as described at 9:23pm PDT and I finally cycled power on the Telo to bring it back on at 10:08 pm. Phone was offline also, no internet to router, incoming call went straight to voicemail, but light on the Telo stayed blue.

On 10/11/17 at 12:20 am exactly the same failure as above occurred and came back on at 12:36 am only after I cycled the power on the Telo.

On 10/11/17 system went offline without affecting internet at 4:26 pm and came back on automatically at 4:38 pm. The light on the Telo was red during the outage.

On 09/21/17 at about 2:20 am while I was out of town the same failure as on 10/12/17 occurred. Phone, security and internet was offline until 09/25/17 when I returned and cycled power on the Telo. I had first tried cycling modem and router power but they did not bring the system back.

redchev1

Post by redchev1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Tom B. Happened again tonight 10/16/17 at 9:37 pm taking out home security and phone (and internet to router). Light was solid blue. Cycled Telo power and it came back at 9:41 pm. I was browsing this forum and had OOMA Telo Setup page open (for the first time) but did not make any changes.