Sensors disconnected -- how to get them to wake up?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
DenverBon
Sensors disconnected -- how to get them to wake up?

Post by DenverBon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Several times recently my internet service has apparently been out. I get a home security app notification that the system is off line. The problem is that when internet is restored, the sensors aren't automatically waking up and reconnecting with the Telo device. I haven't found a simple way to get them to reconnect.

Things I tried that did not work: Completely closing app and then re-opening it & restarting all of my internet connection devices including the Ooma Telo.

The one thing that works: Unpair the sensor in the app, then re-pair the sensor. To do this, I have to take the sensor down from its position to open it and push the pairing button inside the device. Doing this is super not convenient and also putting strain on the sticky strips that hold the sensors to the wall. Plus, I have to be home to do it, which is no help when I'm out and the disconnect occurs.

Are there better ways to get the sensors to reconnect after an internet outage?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Sensors disconnected -- how to get them to wake up?

Post by Tom » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 pm

What do the sensor icons on the app look like after the app comes back online?
Does a door icon respond when you open that door?

sonnym

Post by sonnym » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 pm

I had the same issue with home security which I just bought and heres what I did to fix it. I've ranked them in order of what I think was the fix.

1. I put a static ip address on the ooma. It is connected via ethernet cable to my router/modem and turned off DHCP on the router/modem since I put in a static on the ooma.
2. I enabled DECT
3. I unplugged the wifi card in the OOMA and connected it to my router/modem via ethernet cable
4. I put the ooma in a DMZ

I would like to put it back to wifi since i paid for it but would need to make sure the ip remains static. Not in a rush

Now the home security app has een on for a few days and no longer need to unpair and repair the sensor. IF it stays up, then Im ready for premier so I can get more sensors.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:17 am

Home Security Sensors are not going to work at all if DECT is disabled. They use DECT to communicate with the Telo.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

DenverBon

Post by DenverBon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I had been using Ooma home security semi-successfully for months. Lately I've had repeated brief internet outages, which is where things have gone awry. It is happening every few days now that internet goes out and all sensor disconnect.

What do sensor icons look like? They say "disconnected" in red at the bottom of the icon. I can get them all to re-connect if select one of them and click on un-pair, then re-pair it. To do so, I have to remove the sensor from the wall and press the pairing button inside. I'm looking for a better way to recover from the internet outages.

I'll try the static ID concept. I'm not techy, but I'll search for instructions for how to do those things.

DenverBon

Post by DenverBon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

OK, attempts to figure out how to set up with static IP have not worked. I need instructions for dummies. Tom or anyone able to share a post that walks through all of the steps to do this? I don't know where to get the numbers that I need to enter into the required fields for IP address, netmask, and router address on the Internet Settings in setup.ooma.com after changing connection type to static. I'm clearly in over my head here. If anyone can share comprehensive instructions, I'll give it a try and learn something along the way. Thanks again.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pm

I sent you a PM